This Smashed Potato Salad recipe turns out a delicious, easy-to-make potato salad.
Potato salad is a staple for family gatherings, barbecues and parties hosted all year long. Everyone loves a good potato salad! This smashed potato salad is slightly sweet with added sweet pickle relish and a sweet mayonnaise dressing. The potatoes are slightly smashed but still chunky. It’s a unique take on classic potato salad.
How to make Smashed Potato Salad:
Place unpeeled potatoes in a pot with salted water. Bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Let cool completely, and then peel and chop the potatoes. Place them in a large bowl.
What are the best kinds of potatoes to use for potato salad?
Russet potatoes are typically not the best potatoes to use for potato salad because the are more starchy and tend to fall apart. But for making smashed potato salad, Russet potatoes work perfectly! Alternately, you can use red potatoes and keep the skin on. Just cook red potatoes the same way, cut into chunks and smash the same way.
The next step is making the dressing for the smashed potato salad. Chop 3 hard-boiled eggs and place them in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, spicy brown mustard, sugar, cider vinegar, ground black pepper, paprika, sweet pickle relish, green onions, chopped fresh parsley, salt and roasted red bell peppers. Stir to combine. At this point, you can cover the bowl and chill the dressing separately if you want to assemble the potato salad later.
How to make hard-boiled eggs:
I have a very easy method for making hard-boiled eggs that I learned from watching Martha Stewart a long time ago. Place your eggs in a single layer in a large pot. Cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil. Cover, and then turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse with cold water, and peel the eggs.
Also, now that I have an Instant Pot, I use that quite often for making deviled eggs. It’s super easy to make them in the Instant Pot, and the shells slip off incredibly easy using this method too. RecipeBoy.com has a good tutorial (with a video) that shows you how to make hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot.
Smashed the potatoes in the bowl until the texture is somewhere in between smashed and chunky. Pour the dressing over the potatoes in the bowl. Stir until evenly combined. Cover and chill the smashed potato salad for several hours (or overnight).
Smashed Potato Salad
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes (don't peel or slice)
- salt, to taste
- 3 large hard boiled eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅓ cup finely chopped sweet pickles
- ⅓ cup minced green onions
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, as desired)
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover generously and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat slightly to prevent boiling over, and partially cover. Cook until tender (35 to 40 min. for medium potatoes, or 45 to 55 min. for larger ones). Drain and let cool to room temperature.
- Peel and finely chop the hard-boiled eggs in a large bowl. Mash them slightly with a fork. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and chill until needed.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks, and put in a large bowl. Smash the potatoes with a fork or a potato masher to a texture somewhere between mashed and chunky. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir until evenly combined. Cover and chill for several hours (or overnight).
- *If you are preparing this salad as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of mayonnaise and mustard that are known to be GF.