Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad is an easy and delicious alternative potato salad recipe!
This Blue Cheese and Bacon potato salad recipe is one that doesn’t use mayonnaise like classic potato salad calls for. Instead, it’s tossed with a vinaigrette based dressing. It’s a welcome way to enjoy potato salad since you can have the mayo based potato salad any old day. The addition of blue cheese in this potato salad gives it a wonderful tang of flavor.
Ingredients needed for Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad:
- white wine
- chicken broth
- fresh parsley
- green onions
- crumbled blue cheese
- Italian dressing
- cooked bacon
- salt and pepper
How to make Blue Cheese Potato Salad:
You’ll boil peeled potatoes until they are tender, and then you’ll quarter the potatoes and put them in a bowl. White wine and chicken broth are then poured over the warm potatoes along with adding fresh parsley and green onions and tossing it all together. This is a crucial step since those warm potatoes will take on the flavor of the liquid being poured on them.
Blue cheese crumbles and Italian dressing are added after the potatoes have cooled down. You can choose your favorite bottled Italian dressing to use for the potato salad. Use a fat-free Italian dressing to lighten things up. I like to use one with a ton of flavor. Cooked bacon and salt and pepper added in will complete the recipe.
The best way to cook bacon:
I like to make bacon in the oven. It’s the easiest, cleanest way to make bacon! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the foil. Bake until the bacon is browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Time in the oven will depend on how thick your bacon is. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate, and then chop it into smaller pieces.
If you’ve never tried a potato salad that is vinaigrette based instead of being made with mayonnaise, I suggest you give this Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad a try. It’s different, but in a good way. If you absolutely don’t care for blue cheese, you can substitute feta cheese crumbles instead. Enjoy!
Here are a few more potato salad recipes you might like to try:
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Red, White and Blue Potato Salad
- All American Potato Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- California Potato Salad
- No Mayo Potato Salad with Herbs
- Smashed Potato Salad
Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad
- 3 pounds new potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 8 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup bottled Italian dressing
- 4 ounces bacon (cooked, drained and crumbled)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam the new potatoes in large steamer basket over boiling water until tender. Let them cool slightly, and then quarter them.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm potatoes with wine, chicken broth, parsley and green onions, tossing the mixture gently. Let cool.
- Add the blue cheese and 1/2 cup of the dressing. Toss mixture gently. Add more dressing, as needed, to coat the salad well.
- Chill the potato salad for at least 4 hours (or overnight). Transfer the salad to a salad bowl. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve at room temperature.