Refreshingly simple, Strawberry Avocado Salad with Balsamic Chicken is like springtime in a bowl. Fresh, juicy strawberries, creamy avocado, crunchy pistachios and pan-seared chicken is nestled in a bed of greens and drizzled with a sweet-savory balsamic dressing. Healthy and easy!
So, this is the time of year when I try to pull things back together. I re-set the healthy eating meter, so to speak. When the weather gets warmer and I know that I’ll eventually have to put on a pair of shorts, I do my best to eat a little lighter, a little leaner, and a little brighter.
Salads are always my go-to because you can layer them with flavor without packing in the calories. Fresh ingredients start to pop up in the farmers markets and this is where I go for my salad inspiration.
Strawberries are in season, so I picked up a basket of them plus a handful of avocados. They’re my favorite flavors right now: the sweet/tart strawberries paired with buttery avocados just works in a magical way.
About this Strawberry Avocado Salad:
I pan seared a chicken breast and then “braised” it, sort-of, in a Brown Sugar Balsamic sauce which doubled as the base for a syrupy vinaigrette. That’s how this Strawberry Avocado Salad with Balsamic Chicken was born. It’s kind of genius, if you ask me. One less dish to wash!
It’s very easy to assemble. Arrange a pile of greens on a platter, and then top them with the strawberries, avocados and chicken. Sprinkle on some thinly sliced red onion and chopped pistachios, and drizzle with the warm pan vinaigrette.
The whole thing comes together in about 20 minutes. Served warm, it makes a fantastic main course salad worthy of entertaining. Serve it chilled for a super tasty weekday lunch. Either way, your tastebuds are going to beg you to make this Strawberry Avocado Salad with Balsamic Chicken pretty regularly. And so will your entire family.
Here are a few more of my favorite salads you might like to try:
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Apples
- Chopped Vegetable Salad with Feta and Olives
- Barbecue Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado Ranch
- Apple Bacon Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad
- Tomato, Caper, Olive and Blue Cheese Salad
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Strawberry- Avocado Salad with Balsamic Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 7 cups baby spinach or mixed greens (washed dried)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 large avocado, peeled & sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the brown sugar, vinegar and water. Pour the mixture over the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking the chicken in the balsamic syrup for an additional 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through and no longer pink. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the mustard and thyme. Set aside.
- Arrange the greens on a large platter. Top with the strawberries, avocado and red onion. Slice the chicken and arrange on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.