Rarely do we make a cream-sauce pasta (for fear of consuming too many calories), but this Tortellini, Peas and Asparagus with Creamy Tarragon Sauce is divine! I use fat-free half and half and still get great results!
Tortellini, Peas and Asparagus with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups half and half cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- Two 9-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini (or 1 pound frozen)
- freshly grated Parmesan and lemon wedges
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot.
- Make sauce: Melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in half-and half, peas, tarragon, and dissolved cornstarch mixture and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, cover, and set aside.
- Add asparagus and 1 Tablespoon salt to boiling water and cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender but still crisp at center, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to large paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Return water to a boil, stir in tortellini, and cook until tender. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water, then drain tortellini and return tortellini to pot.
- Stir sauce and asparagus into tortellini. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding reserved pasta cooking water as needed to loosen sauce. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan and lemon wedges.