Here’s a little something to get you prepared for Valentine’s Day: Nigella Lawson’s Vanilla Apples with Sweetheart Croutes. This recipe comes from Nigella’s cookbook, Nigella Express.
Vanilla Apples with Sweetheart Croutes
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large Gala apples (or another variety of red apple)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 slices white country bread, cut into heart shapes with a cookie cutter
- sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet.
- Core and finely slice apples (leave peel on if your intended eaters will go for that). Add them to the skillet, cooking for about 3 minutes, then add the vanilla and cook for about another 5 minutes total, turning once (until browned). Remove apples to platter.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and quickly fry the sweetheart croutes until browned and slightly crisp.
- Arrange croutes on the plate with the apples; sprinkle with sugar (if using).