These Watermelon Tequila Cocktails are the perfect, sweet summer drink recipe.
When you have some sweet watermelon on hand, you should definitely make some watermelon tequila cocktails! Summer is the best time for a chilly cocktail. When it’s so hot outside, you want something refreshing to drink. And since cocktails are perfectly okay to drink in the middle of the week these days, you better whip up a batch of these!
How to make Watermelon Tequila Cocktails:
You’ll purée fresh watermelon in a blender until smooth, and then you’ll strain the watermelon and keep the watermelon juice. To assemble the cocktails in a pitcher, you’ll combine simple syrup, lime juice, fresh blueberries and fresh mint leaves. Then you’ll use a wooden spoon to muddle up that mixture a little bit (smashing the wooden spoon into the blueberries and mint in the pitcher). The watermelon juice and tequila are added in last, and then your pitcher of watermelon tequila cocktails is given a couple of hours to chill in the refrigerator.
The recipe calls for using silver tequila, which will give this cocktail a smoother flavor. You can use gold tequila, if you prefer. It will be delicious either way!
The cocktails are served over ice, and they’re garnished with fresh mint sprigs and a watermelon wedge.
How to make simple syrup for cocktails:
They do sell simple syrup (sugar water) in bottles in the liquor section of grocery stores and beverage stores. But it’s so easy to make it at home that you don’t need to bother buying it. Heat equal parts of water and sugar in a saucepan, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool. Chill until ready to use.
Use your favorite cocktail glasses for these watermelon tequila cocktails. Or use cute mason jars for serving! Pop in your favorite straws for easy sipping.
The watermelon juice is sweetened up more with a small amount of simple syrup. Lime, blueberry and mint are nice additions and a good pairing with the tequila. The recipe was originally created by Bobby Flay quite a few years back. I’ve been making these every summer for a long time now. You must make these Watermelon Tequila Cocktails and let me know how you like them. Enjoy!
Here are a few more recipes for cocktails that you might like to try:
- Pearl Harbor Cocktails
- Skinny Ice Cocktails
- Sangrita Cocktail
- Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktails
- Pink Bikini Cocktail
- Sea Breeze Cocktail
- Painkiller Cocktail
- Hurricane Cocktail
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Watermelon Tequila Cocktails
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 8 cups diced seedless watermelon
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1¾ cups fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup fresh mint leaves (lightly packed)
- 8 mint sprigs and watermelon wedges, for garnish
- 1¼ cups silver tequila
- ice cubes
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp and save the juice.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and the mint. Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with mint sprigs and watermelon wedges and serve.
This looks like a great summer cocktail! YUM!
That looks so refreshing and delicious! Very cute in the jars.