Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread is a delicious pumpkin bread recipe with a healthy spin, fall flavors and the addition of chocolate. It’s the perfect fall treat quick bread recipe this holiday season!
You’ve gotta love a tender pumpkin bread with a whole wheat vibe and great pumpkin flavor. That’s what we’re looking at with this whole wheat chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe. It’s delicious using whole wheat flour (regular or white whole wheat). But you can always substitute all purpose flour, if that’s what you have on hand or desire to use. This easy pumpkin bread recipe is the next one to try in your collection of pumpkin recipes!
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder, baking soda and salt
- ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened pumpkin purée
- chocolate chips (can use semisweet, milk or dark chocolate chips)
How to make Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. No need for pumpkin pie spice here. You’ll just be using a combination of the spices you already have in your cupboard.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to mix the wet ingredients. Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla and pumpkin. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until evenly moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips (reserve a few to sprinkle on top).
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top. Bake about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean.
Remove the bread from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, run a table knife around the edges of the pan to make sure the bread isn’t sticking, turn it out of the pan, and place it on the rack to finish cooling completely before slicing.
How do you store pumpkin bread?
To keep at room temperature, for best results wrap your pumpkin bread with foil or plastic wrap or place in a plastic zip bag to prevent it from drying out. Properly stored, freshly baked pumpkin bread will last for about 1 to 2 days at normal room temperature in an airtight container.
Pumpkin bread will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when wrapped well. To freeze pumpkin bread, wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in a freezer zip bag. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
Melty chocolate chips are the best part in this pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe. That’ll surely satisfy all of the chocolate lovers in the house during this pumpkin season. Pumpkin and chocolate happens to be a very nice combination for brownies, muffins, cookies and pumpkin bread too. This moist pumpkin bread recipe is one to try in the fall. It’s an easy recipe. Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla and pumpkin. Add the dry ingredients, mixing just until evenly moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips (reserve a few to sprinkle on top).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top. Bake about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, run a table knife around the edges of the pan to make sure the bread isn't sticking, turn it out of the pan, and place it on the rack to finish cooling completely before slicing.
I was looking for a whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe and came across this one….so glad I did! Unbelievably delicious! The combination of chocolate chips, pumpkin and spices is so incredible that my family couldn’t get enough of it. I will definitely make this again and again!
Making this for the second time! I used organic white whole wheat flour. My kids loved it! Thanks!