Yield: 36 to 40 cookies
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ina Garten's Chocolate Chunk Cookies
This recipe turns out a soft and chewy cookie.
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or just use electric hand mixer). Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at at time, and mix well.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the butter with the mixer on low speed, mixing only until combined. Fold in chocolate chunks (and walnuts, if using).
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm (1 to 2 hours or more).
5. Scoop out the dough by the heaping tablespoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a 1 3/4-inch-diameter ice cream scoop or a rounded Tablespoon. Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone in the middle and lightly browned on the edges). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Adapted from Barefoot Contessa: Parties!