Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili is a great chili for a chilly day! It’s pure comfort food. It’s nice to eat a chicken chili– one without beef or beans– just simply packed with chicken, tomatoes and other veggies.
A non-traditional chili, it has tons of yellow and red bell peppers as well as fresh basil. It’s spiced up lightly with chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Add more cayenne for heat.
Sometimes I like to add a good spoonful of my favorite barbecue sauce to this chili recipe to add a little sweet flavor to it. Try it, it’s good!
What I love about this recipe:
It feeds a crowd! Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili recipe makes a hearty 12 servings. I almost always make this particular recipe when I’m having people over to watch games on football Sundays. It easily feeds a hungry bunch, and everyone is happy to eat a chicken chili recipe!
If 12 servings is too much for you, it’s okay to cut the recipe in half.
Served up family-style with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and Tostitos Scoop chips, this is a great chili recipe.
If you’re following the Weight Watchers program, this chili computes to just 1 point per serving for blue and purple plans and 2 points per serving for the green plan. Wahoo!
Here are a few more chili recipes you might enjoy:
- Beef and Dark Beer Chili
- California Chili
- Pumpkin Chili
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Spicy Vegetarian Chili
- Halftime Chili
- Thick and Beefy Beanless Chili
- Spicy Turkey Chili
Ina Garten's Chicken Chili
- 8 cups chopped sweet onions (about 6 onions)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (8 cloves)
- 4 medium red bell peppers (cored, seeded and roughly chopped)
- 4 medium yellow bell peppers (cored, seeded and roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- Four 28-ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- freshly ground black pepper
- onions, corn chips, grated cheese, sour cream (suggested toppings)
- In a large pot, cook the onions in oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times.) Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.
- If preparing this recipe as DAIRY FREE, don't serve with sour cream or cheese. If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, choose tortilla chips that are known to be GF.