This California Chili recipe is a terrific lower calorie chili recipe that is completely Weight Watchers friendly.
It’s made with 99% lean ground turkey, which makes for a much lighter chili. Added beans and vegetables add plenty of fiber, and that’s the good stuff that makes this chili so very filling.
A few spices, tomato sauce and barbecue sauce round out the ingredients for this chili. I love the addition of barbecue sauce because it adds a good deal of sweetness to the chili. Use a barbecue sauce that you love. My favorite BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s!
I suggest making beer bread or a really good garlic bread to serve alongside the chili. Bread is so great for dunking into the chili. My husband would suggest that you drink your favorite beer with your chili too!
For those on the Weight Watchers program, a generous serving of this chili will only set you back 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points. Just divide the chili into 6 equal servings.
If you’re looking for things to serve with this California Chili recipe, you might try my Cheddar Chive Beer Bread for dunking. Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread is another good option for eating with chili. And this Avocado Pine Nut Salad is my favorite.
This California Chili recipe is a great, healthy chili recipe!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound 99% fat free ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, stirring frequently- about 5 minutes.
Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, at least an hour.
- *Weight Watchers POINTS per serving (1/6 of the recipe):
- Freestyle SmartPoints: 3, SmartPoints: 7, Points Plus: 6, Old Points Program: 6
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, be sure to use brands of beans and barbecue sauce that are known to be GF.
- *I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.