This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Mother’s Day Quiche Recipes
Swiss and Cheddar Quiche with Bacon
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 35 min
A simple quiche with just a handful of ingredients. Sharp cheddar cheese and Applewood Smoked Bacon make this quiche an above-average choice.
1/2 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crust (or make your own)
8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 whole green onions, chopped
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
4 ounces (1 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, divided
6 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Let piecrust come to room temperature (about 15 minutes) and roll out slightly to make the round a little bit larger. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate, fold edges under and crimp. Poke several holes in the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Bake for 7 minutes; remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
3. Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle green onions, bacon, 1/2 cup of Swiss cheese, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese into the baked crust.
4. Whisk together eggs, whipping cream, salt, peppers and nutmeg. Pour into the crust; sprinkle with remaining Swiss and cheddar cheeses.
5. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.
*If you can find Applewood Smoked Bacon, it makes a world of difference in the flavor of this quiche- completely delicious.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Southern Living)