Spinach, Caramelized Onion and Feta Quiche
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 1 hr, 30 min
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
One 11-ounce can refrigerated soft breadstick dough
One 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 cup fat-free milk
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, sugar and salt; cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
3. Unroll dough, separating into strips. Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern. Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip, pinching ends together to seal; continue coiling the dough. Repeat procedure with the remaining dough strips. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle, and fit into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
4. Spread potato mixture in bottom of prepared crust, and top with spinach. Combine milk, egg whites, eggs and cheese; pour the milk mixture over the spinach.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until set, shielding crust with foil after 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*If you prefer a mellower flavor, substitute Swiss or Gruyere for the feta.Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1/8th of the quiche
Calories per serving: 373
Fat per serving: 11g
Saturated Fat per serving: 5g
Sugar per serving: 9g
Fiber per serving: 13g
Protein per serving: 25g
Cholesterol per serving: 74mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 50g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 10 Old Points Program: 7.5
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Cooking Light)