Irish Soda Bread Muffins

Definitely perfect for breakfast, and easy to throw in the freezer to have on a moment’s notice:  Irish Soda Bread Muffins

Three easy steps: The dry ingredients are cut with butter. Eggs and buttermilk are added. Currants and caraway seeds are added last.  We left out the caraway seeds (picky child in the house!)  They rise up nicely, and they’re definitely most delicious directly out of the oven!

Yield: 12 regular-sized muffins or 5 large

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 20 min

Irish Soda Bread Muffins

These are really terrific, especially right out of the oven- moist & delicious and very easy to prepare. They'd also do well as a dinner roll/biscuit made in a smaller muffin tin.

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup salted butter
1 cup buttermilk (low fat is fine)
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup currants
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray small muffin tins or large muffin tins with nonstick spray.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With pastry cutter or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (You can also do this part in a food processor and let the blades mix the flour & butter together). In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk and egg until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in currants and caraway seeds (if using).

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes (longer for the larger muffins), or until cake tester inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.

4. Remove muffin tin or tins to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.

*These muffins freeze well.
*Reader tip: Try using 1 cup of white flour and 1 cup of wheat flour- yum!
*Reader tip: Try subbing raspberries and blueberries for the currants (with no caraway seeds).

22 Responses to “Irish Soda Bread Muffins”

1. postedMar 6, 2009 3:17 PM

I love the idea of muffins instead of bread. What a fun twist!

2. postedMar 16, 2009 6:48 PM

Those look great! I just make plain boring Irish Soda bread :)

3. postedOct 29, 2010 7:06 PM
    Jane from Oregon

Fantastic! I used half white and half whole wheat flour, plus substituted olive oil for some of the butter, and used raisins instead of currants, since I had raisins on hand. These are great, and even my fiance, a dyed-in-the-wool white bread afficionado, started eating them as soon as they came out of the oven. Thanks!

4. postedSep 29, 2011 3:12 PM
    casey mccabe

i did it with dried cranberries and served with a drizzle of honey. amazing!

5. postedMar 1, 2012 4:37 AM

These are the most absolute, wonderful soda bread I have ever eaten. I love to take them in my lunches for coffee time as I am not in to eating breakfast at 5:00 a.m. Very glad I found and tried this recipe.

6. postedMar 16, 2012 6:40 AM

I have never made Irish Soda bread and have decided to try this year! My daughter is gluten free, so I will try gluten free biscuits for her and your delicious sounding muffins in addition. Thay way no one is having the traditional bread! Good feelings all around!

7. postedMar 17, 2012 9:11 AM

Just made these with my 2 year old for St. Patrick’s Day and they turned out great! We used chopped dried apricots instead of currants and omitted the caraway seeds. A great recipe- easy/fast/tasty.

8. postedMar 17, 2012 8:11 PM

This recipe was so easy and so delicious. I bought everything to make the perfect St Patty’s Day dinner for my husband and I forgot his favorite Irish soda bread. He loved it, I will never buy it again. A big thank you to you!!

9. postedMar 19, 2012 2:42 PM

YUM! I made some honey cinnamon butter to put on mine. Delicious!!!

10. postedMar 24, 2012 7:14 AM

These are delicious. I used dried cranberries and they were excellent. I am wondering what the calories are in each muffin though. Does anyone know? I used low fat buttermilk.

11. postedMar 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Love your blog! Was looking to make muffins for my sons st pats party at school. Do you find these “sweet” and moist enough to the liking of 8 year olds? (wanted to skip cupcakes since its an early am party)

• March 11th, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

Hmm, I’m not certain. Soda bread in general is not so sweet. They may like them with a little jam on them perhaps?

12. postedMar 12, 2013 7:32 PM

How full do you fill the muffin tins? Do they rise much?

• March 13th, 2013 @ 6:12 AM

Yes, there is a nice rise on them. Just divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin tins.

13. postedMar 17, 2013 6:50 PM

I tried these for a St. Patrick’s Day dinner and they were a big hit. I will definitely make them again and not just for St. Patrick’s Day.

14. postedMar 13, 2014 4:51 PM
    Beth Clark

OMG! Just made these and they are great! VERY easy, I baked mine in st patricks decorated cupcake liners and drizzled some powder sugar icing on tops, and I only used raisins. My 5 yr old just approved them for her school party :) Thank you!

15. postedMar 15, 2014 8:20 AM
    Margaret S

These are so good! Used a dried fruit mix with pumpkin seeds I buy at Costco because that’s what I had on hand. My hubbie loves them for his coffee break!

16. postedApr 18, 2014 4:49 PM

Just made these….delicious!

17. postedApr 30, 2014 10:44 AM

I’m making this for my son’s school and was wondering if this same recipe can be used to make it in a square cake like shape instead of muffins? I’m not a baker so this might be a dumb question lol

• April 30th, 2014 @ 9:27 PM

I would think it would be okay, but I really don’t know!

18. postedJul 12, 2014 3:57 PM
    Jane from NY

These are fantastic! I’ve made them twice so far and will never go back to making a large loaf. The leftovers freeze beautifully, which is important now that there are just the two of us to cook for. No more dried out, crumbly frozen leftovers!