Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins

Is zucchini growing out of control in your veggie gardens yet this summer? Try this muffin recipe to get a little green stuff into your children without their knowledge: Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins.

As a kid, I hated zucchini bread. My mother used to make if often since our relatives used to dump loads of zucchini in our laps in the summertime. I just didn’t think it tasted good at all. So I’ve been reluctant to try zucchini bread recipes as an adult. I finally caved and tried this recipe. I grated the zucchini into smallish shreds so that my green-phobic 7 year old wouldn’t object. He didn’t even notice, and he gobbled these up like they were dessert.

And I suppose they were like dessert with the chocolate chips and all. Cakespy had this discussion about the differences between muffins and cupcakes. Is there really much of a difference? I can’t really decide.

Look at all of that chocolatey goodness inside! No wonder my little guy loved these. There was chocolate in every bite!

The zucchini in my garden died this year… as did everything else in my garden. I must not have a knack for it, or perhaps I had bad dirt. I like to think it was the dirt (and not me.) But I’ll try again next year. I long to swoon over a bounty of zucchini and other veggie treasures. But for now I’ll have to swoon over these muffins.

This recipe can be found here: Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

23 Responses to “Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins”

Manggy — July 18, 2008 @ 9:46 AM

Sorry to hear about your garden, Lori. I think of all the effort that might have gone into starting it… Sigh.
    Well, a chocolatey muffin should do the trick– I’m glad you got over your zicchini bread phobia!

Parker — July 18, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

I just love zucchini muffins. they remind me of home. This recipe looks so great, and really nice photos.

Pamela — July 18, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

People are always kind enough to share their zuke bounty with me and I do a lot of breads. Muffins are a good way to go, since I seem to be the only one eating the bread! Portion control…

Sharon — July 18, 2008 @ 2:46 PM

Sorry about your garden! I blame the dirt, too.

I’m a little bit on a muffin kick so these made me smile. I’m easy to please, huh? I dont even need to eat the muffin to smile, just viewing them makes me happy. :) Oh, and those chocolate chips!

Lina — July 18, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

ive never had zucchini in baked goods before but it actually looks wonderful.

Deborah — July 18, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

The bugs are getting our garden this year – I’m afraid I won’t get any squash or brussels sprouts because of them. But I sure hope i get some zucchini so I can make these!

Mary Coleman — July 18, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

Please don’t feel bad about your garden. Happens to the best of us. Believe me.
    We haven’t been able to grow zucchini in three years. Plenty of sun, water…zucchini must have voted not to grow in Groom’s garden.
    However, that’s not to say that I won’t get some at the farmers market tomorrow and make some of these delish looking muffins!!!

CookiePie — July 18, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Muffin, cupcake – I don’t care what you call it, as long as I can have one! Delicious!!

Sophie — July 19, 2008 @ 3:55 AM

I wish I had a garden! I am a huge fan of zucchini bread, and who doesn’t love chocolate? The two combined together in a portable muffin = a match made in heaven :D.

noble pig — July 19, 2008 @ 4:15 AM

I love zucchini muffins and these look like a hit.

Grace — July 19, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

my zucchini is failing too! i keep getting blooms, and they keep falling right off. it’s so frustrating because all i ever hear about is how the zucchini in everyone else’s garden is growing out of control. i share your pain. :)

VeggieGirl — July 19, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

Sounds like we have the same garden!! EVERYTHING died; nothing is flourishing :0( Oh well. Here’s to delicious zucchini-chocolate chip muffins anyways!! :0)

Lisa — July 19, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

Yum! Maybe I can get my 6 year old son to eat some veggies this way!

Lori Lynn — July 20, 2008 @ 1:25 AM

Of course it was the dirt!

I really like the pretty zucchini coordinated ribbon!

And Lori, have you read the Great Big Vegetable Challenge blog, how apropos your muffins, as Charlotte prepared the last veggie in the alphabet for Freddie (her 7 year old).

Brilynn — July 20, 2008 @ 3:34 AM

Every year I made chocolate chocolate chip zucchini muffins, they’re great!

Prudy — July 20, 2008 @ 3:59 AM

You could definitely hide those green flecks if you peeled your zuchinni. I love Z bread and muffins and one of my friends makes some great z cookies with butterscotch chips.

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — July 20, 2008 @ 4:57 AM

That is VERY interesting indeed. A good way of getting these veggies into the children’s systems.

Heather — July 20, 2008 @ 7:34 PM

mmmm, delicious! what a yummy breakfast, snack or dessert :)

White on Rice Couple — July 20, 2008 @ 11:58 PM

This really hurts to hear about your garden. Let me give you a gardeners hug…..hug! :)
    lovely muffins, they make me feel better.

Jessy and her dog Winnie — July 22, 2008 @ 1:13 AM

Oh my gosh my moms garden is overflowing with zuchini! I wil definitly have to make these muffins!

Lucas Family — July 22, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

Thanks for the recipe! We had just gone to the public market and fallen victim to the “5 for $2″ game…Delicious!

Elle — July 28, 2008 @ 2:17 AM

I love zucchini bread, but I need to try muffins with it!

So sorry about your garden–how disappointing!

Steph — January 16, 2014 @ 4:56 PM

I had some extra zucchini in my fridge, so I started looking up zucchini recipes and this popped up and oh my goodness I am so happy. I made these today and they are so so so good. My roommates were skeptical about the zucchini, but once they tried them they were almost gone by the end of the day! Definitely will be making again soon and often!!