Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins

Is zucchini growing out of control in your veggie gardens yet this summer? Try this muffin recipe to get a little green stuff into your children without their knowledge: Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins.

As a kid, I hated zucchini bread. My mother used to make if often since our relatives used to dump loads of zucchini in our laps in the summertime. I just didn’t think it tasted good at all. So I’ve been reluctant to try zucchini bread recipes as an adult. I finally caved and tried this recipe. I grated the zucchini into smallish shreds so that my green-phobic 7 year old wouldn’t object. He didn’t even notice, and he gobbled these up like they were dessert.

And I suppose they were like dessert with the chocolate chips and all. Cakespy had this discussion about the differences between muffins and cupcakes. Is there really much of a difference? I can’t really decide.

Look at all of that chocolatey goodness inside! No wonder my little guy loved these. There was chocolate in every bite!

The zucchini in my garden died this year… as did everything else in my garden. I must not have a knack for it, or perhaps I had bad dirt. I like to think it was the dirt (and not me.) But I’ll try again next year. I long to swoon over a bounty of zucchini and other veggie treasures. But for now I’ll have to swoon over these muffins.

This recipe can be found here: Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

23 Responses to “Zucchini- Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. postedJul 18, 2008 9:46 AM
    Manggy

Sorry to hear about your garden, Lori. I think of all the effort that might have gone into starting it… Sigh.
    Well, a chocolatey muffin should do the trick– I’m glad you got over your zicchini bread phobia!

2. postedJul 18, 2008 11:50 AM
    Parker

I just love zucchini muffins. they remind me of home. This recipe looks so great, and really nice photos.

3. postedJul 18, 2008 12:17 PM
    Pamela

People are always kind enough to share their zuke bounty with me and I do a lot of breads. Muffins are a good way to go, since I seem to be the only one eating the bread! Portion control…

4. postedJul 18, 2008 2:46 PM
    Sharon

Sorry about your garden! I blame the dirt, too.

I’m a little bit on a muffin kick so these made me smile. I’m easy to please, huh? I dont even need to eat the muffin to smile, just viewing them makes me happy. :) Oh, and those chocolate chips!

5. postedJul 18, 2008 3:02 PM
    Lina

ive never had zucchini in baked goods before but it actually looks wonderful.

6. postedJul 18, 2008 3:35 PM
    Deborah

The bugs are getting our garden this year – I’m afraid I won’t get any squash or brussels sprouts because of them. But I sure hope i get some zucchini so I can make these!

7. postedJul 18, 2008 5:47 PM
    Mary Coleman

Please don’t feel bad about your garden. Happens to the best of us. Believe me.
    We haven’t been able to grow zucchini in three years. Plenty of sun, water…zucchini must have voted not to grow in Groom’s garden.
    However, that’s not to say that I won’t get some at the farmers market tomorrow and make some of these delish looking muffins!!!

8. postedJul 18, 2008 10:41 PM
    CookiePie

Muffin, cupcake – I don’t care what you call it, as long as I can have one! Delicious!!

9. postedJul 19, 2008 3:55 AM
    Sophie

I wish I had a garden! I am a huge fan of zucchini bread, and who doesn’t love chocolate? The two combined together in a portable muffin = a match made in heaven :D.

10. postedJul 19, 2008 4:15 AM
    noble pig

I love zucchini muffins and these look like a hit.

11. postedJul 19, 2008 9:19 AM
    Grace

my zucchini is failing too! i keep getting blooms, and they keep falling right off. it’s so frustrating because all i ever hear about is how the zucchini in everyone else’s garden is growing out of control. i share your pain. :)

12. postedJul 19, 2008 11:54 AM
    VeggieGirl

Sounds like we have the same garden!! EVERYTHING died; nothing is flourishing :0( Oh well. Here’s to delicious zucchini-chocolate chip muffins anyways!! :0)

13. postedJul 19, 2008 4:47 PM
    Lisa

Yum! Maybe I can get my 6 year old son to eat some veggies this way!

14. postedJul 20, 2008 1:25 AM
    Lori Lynn

Of course it was the dirt!

I really like the pretty zucchini coordinated ribbon!

And Lori, have you read the Great Big Vegetable Challenge blog, how apropos your muffins, as Charlotte prepared the last veggie in the alphabet for Freddie (her 7 year old).

15. postedJul 20, 2008 3:34 AM
    Brilynn

Every year I made chocolate chocolate chip zucchini muffins, they’re great!

16. postedJul 20, 2008 3:59 AM
    Prudy

You could definitely hide those green flecks if you peeled your zuchinni. I love Z bread and muffins and one of my friends makes some great z cookies with butterscotch chips.

17. postedJul 20, 2008 4:57 AM
    Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm)

That is VERY interesting indeed. A good way of getting these veggies into the children’s systems.

18. postedJul 20, 2008 7:34 PM
    Heather

mmmm, delicious! what a yummy breakfast, snack or dessert :)

19. postedJul 20, 2008 11:58 PM
    White on Rice Couple

This really hurts to hear about your garden. Let me give you a gardeners hug…..hug! :)
    lovely muffins, they make me feel better.

20. postedJul 22, 2008 1:13 AM
    Jessy and her dog Winnie

Oh my gosh my moms garden is overflowing with zuchini! I wil definitly have to make these muffins!

21. postedJul 22, 2008 11:28 PM
    Lucas Family

Thanks for the recipe! We had just gone to the public market and fallen victim to the “5 for $2″ game…Delicious!

22. postedJul 28, 2008 2:17 AM
    Elle

I love zucchini bread, but I need to try muffins with it!

So sorry about your garden–how disappointing!

23. postedJan 16, 2014 4:56 PM
    Steph

I had some extra zucchini in my fridge, so I started looking up zucchini recipes and this popped up and oh my goodness I am so happy. I made these today and they are so so so good. My roommates were skeptical about the zucchini, but once they tried them they were almost gone by the end of the day! Definitely will be making again soon and often!!