This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: 101 Valentine’s Day Recipes
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep Time: 40 min + chilling time
Cook Time: 6 min
Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
Fun to have on your holiday cookie tray. Try using mini-cookie cutters for the insides of the cookies. So cute!
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.
2. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture, beating well. Divide dough in half, and wrap in wax paper. Chill 1 hour.
3. Roll half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; keep remaining dough chilled until ready to use. Cut with a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer cookies to lightly greased baking sheets.
4. Roll remaining half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer cookies to lightly greased baking sheets. Cut out center of each cookie with a 1- or 1 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter (or any other shape).
5. Bake at 350°F. for 5 to 6 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
6. Spread solid cookies evenly with strawberry jam. Dust cookies with cutout centers lightly with powdered sugar. Top solid cookies with sugar-dusted cookies, pressing lightly together to fill cutouts with jam.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Southern Living Incredible Cookies)