I’ve been making this easy recipe for Holly Cookies for many years! Everyone loves them!
You should know that these Holly Cookies aren’t really cookies in the literal sense. They’re more like Rice Krispie treats made with corn flakes instead of Rice Krispies– and with added green coloring. The corn flakes are perfect for making these look like holly leaves. Added cinnamon red hot candies act as berries for the holly.
Some people like to make these into a round shape and call them holly wreaths instead of bunches of holly. You can certainly do that. If you’re not so picky, then just put them in little blobs and that makes it so much easier. They are perfectly cute as little pieces of holly.
After you make these, if you let them sit for a while, they set up nicely and you’ll be able to stack them without worrying about them sticking to each other.
I make these every year and add them to my holiday cookie platters. They’re nice for gifting, bringing along to a party or using for a holiday cookie exchange. Everyone loves Holly Cookies!
Another nice thing about making Holly Cookies is that they’re a pretty affordable treat to make. There’s no chocolate involved (which can be expensive). The main ingredients- marshmallows, corn flakes and butter are pretty mainstream and can usually be found on sale.
Plan ahead at the beginning of the season and be on the lookout for holiday ingredient sales at your market! Walmart seems to have pretty reasonable prices on seasonal ingredients too.
If you’re looking for more treats for your holiday cookie platters, you might like to try my Molasses- Honey Ginger Cookies or these Chocolate- Peppermint Stars. Dark Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies, Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies and Vanilla- Almond Spritz Cookies are festive cookie choices too!
These super simple Holly Cookies are a great addition to holiday baking!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 30 large (regular, not jumbo) marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green food coloring
- 3 1/2 cups corn flakes
- red cinnamon candies
- In a large pot, melt the butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the vanilla and food coloring. Stir in the corn flakes.
- Grease a spoon and drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet, or vegetable oil sprayed wax paper. Place 3 red cinnamon candies on each bunch of "holly," pressing slightly so they stick.
- Let sit until they have cooled and set.
- To make these gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of marshmallows and corn flakes that are known to be GF.