Three Simple Salads and One Expensive Fork

Salad can make for a rather boring blog post. But three salads have to be a bit more intriguing and droolworthy, right?

Here are three salads I tried this summer that have made it onto our *keeper* list.

Five Minute Salad: Goat Cheese, Herb and White BeanTrue to it’s name, this salad is simply mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans and goat cheese. It’s tossed with a basic dijon-balsamic vinaigrette and adorned with freshly snipped basil. I’ve heard that you’re either a goat-cheese-lover or not. That tangy flavor that goat cheese adds to a salad is unbeatable. It has secured a permanent spot in my cheese drawer. Though it can be pricey, Costco sells a BIG log of it for about $4.99. Of course if you’re adverse to goat cheese, you can always sub another fave in its place (if you must).

Simplest Greek Salad with Lemon- Oregano Vinaigrette
Not quite as simple as the 5 Minute Salad, this Greek-style salad contains cucumber, grape tomatoes, fresh lemon zest & dill, feta, and a homemade Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette. I might add a few Kalamata olives next time to make it even more Greek. Only Peter could tell us if this is truly a “Greek” salad. But since he’s still on vacation, I can tell you that it tastes Greek, and it’s good stuff.

Mixed Greens and Goat Cheese and Raspberry VinaigretteThis salad recipe called for arugula and watercress- two greens that are sometimes difficult to find around my parts, so I went with local mixed greens. Fresh raspberries are whirred together with olive oil, shallots, honey and vinegar to make a slightly sweetened and tangy raspberry vinaigrette. Some of that is drizzled over the greens with additional raspberries, goat cheese (told ya I love the stuff) and a few toasted pine nuts. Yum.

See that fork in the picture? I found it at World Market and couldn’t resist picking it up to go with our Spanish-style home. I had intentions of buying lots more to complete a set, but now I can’t seem to justify buying them at $3.99 per fork. And then, of course, I would also need knives, and spoons, etc. But it’s cute, isn’t it? I might have to keep buying them.

There you have it.
Three simple salads. And one expensive fork.
Hope you see one you’d like to try for yourself… and that it made for a more captivating blog post than one mere, lonely salad.

Recipes can be found by clicking on the recipe titles above…

33 Responses to “Three Simple Salads and One Expensive Fork”

1. postedSep 7, 2008 10:13 AM
    Manggy

If it makes you feel better, the raspberries would have cost more than US$6 for half a pound here… So go go go! Get more forks! 😉
    I’m hard-pressed to say which of the three I like best. But the ones with fruits would probably win in my book (I love the little bursts of sweetness!).

2. postedSep 7, 2008 11:23 AM
    Kim

I know raspberries are expensive, but they are so worth it. Thanks for the salad suggestions.

3. postedSep 7, 2008 11:33 AM
    Adam

Beautiful salads… I especially like all the cool dressings you made to go with them. Lemon Oregano has a really nice ring to it :)

4. postedSep 7, 2008 1:44 PM
    Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor"

I love salad, and of course all of your salads look great. They’ve got me hungry now, and it’s only 9:45 in the morning! And the fork is absolutely killer. I love it.

“Doc”

5. postedSep 7, 2008 3:02 PM
    alexandra's kitchen

not boring at all! I love salad and am always looking for a new dressing recipe. The lemon and oregano vinaigrette sounds wonderful. I’m definitely in the goat-cheese-loving category.

and I adore the Spanish-style architecture out here!

6. postedSep 7, 2008 3:47 PM
    Maria

I might have to make all of these at once! They look so tasty and simple. Thanks for the great salad ideas.

7. postedSep 7, 2008 6:06 PM
    Sharon

Love all of your salads. I also love your pricey fork! If you just buy a couple at a time, the sticker shock won’t be so severe.

8. postedSep 7, 2008 6:23 PM
    StickyGooeyCreamyChewy

There’s nothing boring about a salad made with beautiful, fresh ingredients like these! I’d be happy to eat all three of them!

9. postedSep 7, 2008 8:41 PM
    ~Priscilla~

the only goat cheese i have ever eaten was made by a friend, that is the only way i will eat – but that goat cheese salad looks good, i’d give it a go!

10. postedSep 7, 2008 10:28 PM
    Rhyleysgranny

The salads are lovely Lori. I especially like the goats cheese one. :)

11. postedSep 7, 2008 10:57 PM
    kateanon

I have a couple things like your fork – I do that all the time. Hence the couple bowls that don’t match each other or anything else – because I was going to start buying the set…

12. postedSep 8, 2008 2:35 AM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

Goat cheeze is da’ bomb!

13. postedSep 8, 2008 2:40 AM
    Emiline

I love salad. I pretty much live on it. All of these sound delicious. I’m a goat cheese lover, also. I really do crave it.

I like the idea of white beans in a salad, that way you get some protein.

14. postedSep 8, 2008 3:46 AM
    noble pig

I am all for the goat! It’s the best and takes every salad to a new level of greatness. I’m going to try the white bean one.

15. postedSep 8, 2008 9:09 AM
    Grace

all you need is one fork! this is an awesome variety of salads, and i would enjoy all of ’em. ah, simplicity. :)

16. postedSep 8, 2008 9:36 AM
    Clumbsy Cookie

I personally like to see salads, it allways gives me ideas for my own! All 3 look great, you’re such a healthy eater! Lovely fork as well ;)!

17. postedSep 8, 2008 2:04 PM
    Patsyk

I love reading new ideas for salads… it can get rather boring making the same old salad every day! Thanks for sharing 3 yummy ones!

Nice fork, by the way! :)

18. postedSep 8, 2008 2:35 PM
    VeggieGirl

No boring salads in THIS post, for sure – they look marvelous!! And that fork is lovely – I LOVE World Market!!

19. postedSep 8, 2008 5:03 PM
    Meg

Thanks for sharing. I love goat cheese in salads!

20. postedSep 8, 2008 8:03 PM
    Marjie

They’re all pretty. I think the raspberries are a really interesting addition!

Thanks for coming to visit me!

21. postedSep 8, 2008 8:54 PM
    Lisa

I love these salads…such fresh ingredients!

22. postedSep 8, 2008 9:28 PM
    Heather

yum, i love white beans, and the dressing sounds like it would be heavenly with goat cheese!

23. postedSep 8, 2008 11:34 PM
    Tanya

I love raspberry vinegarette. These all look beautiful and tasty.

I think that any good quality fruit is well worth the price!

24. postedSep 9, 2008 4:06 AM
    chefectomy

RG,

Just found your site and really like it. I hail from SD (Kensington with a Spanish style home!) but just moved to the bay area…Salads look lovely, I did goat cheese with heirlooms yesterday. All of yours look phenomenal!

–Marc

25. postedSep 9, 2008 4:37 AM
    linda

The greek salad with the lemon vinaigrette sounds great. I’m trying to finish all the produce in my house before we leave for vacation and a greek salad is the perfect “garbage bowl salad” So many things can go into it, but the dressing really makes it.

26. postedSep 9, 2008 12:52 PM
    Prudy

I’ll take the first salad with a few of those forks, please. Salads are never ever boring in my book, especially not the ones you’ve posted here.

27. postedSep 9, 2008 12:55 PM
    LyB

I love raspberries in a salad, such a sweet surprise. And yes, that fork is way cute, I want one! :)

28. postedSep 10, 2008 12:00 AM
    Jan

I’d be hard pressed to pick one of these, they all look yummy. Pretty fork too. I used to love going to World Market when I lived in California, I always spent more than I intended though.

29. postedSep 10, 2008 3:59 AM
    Proud Italian Cook

Your salads are never boring Lori!
    Everyone of these I’d love to have on my plate!
    btw, I lost you in my reader again! Whats with that?? :(

30. postedSep 10, 2008 4:47 AM
    Laura

I am a goat cheese lover myself–that first salad looks especially fabulous. And I love that you did not skimp on the goat cheese!

31. postedSep 10, 2008 9:11 AM
    Peter M

Lori, all the salads sound delicious and your Greek one would certainly be enjoyed by Greeks. A salad like this would also have fresh dill and scallions in it. The salad would be most welcome on my table!

32. postedSep 11, 2008 3:12 AM
    Dee

Raspberries are a luxury here. I think it’s been years since I bought some. Sad, isn’t it? Popping them on a salad like you did looks so so good. Sigh.

33. postedSep 11, 2008 5:31 PM
    Deborah

There’s nothing boring about any of these salads! And I can see why you had to pick up that fork – I love it!