1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup chicken broth
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel
½ cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbs honey
4 tsp cornstarch
3 one pound Cornish Game hens, split lengthwise
1 medium orange, cut into 6 wedges
orange slices for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Spray a small saucepan with nonstick spray coating. For sauce, cook onion and garlic in the saucepan until onion is tender.
3. In a small bowl, stir together chicken broth, orange peel, orange juice, honey and cornstarch. Stir into onion mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
4. Rinse hen halves; pat dry. In a shallow roasting pan place each hen half atop one orange wedge. Baste with some of the sauce.
5. Roast hens for ¾ to 1 hour or until tender and no longer pink. Baste hen halves with sauce after 30 minutes.
6. Transfer hen halves to a serving platter. If necessary, reheat remaining sauce and serve with hen halves. If desired, garnish with orange slices.
*Use kitchen shears to cut hens in half. A good bread knife will also cut through the hens (but may dull the blade).
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]
“These turned out really moist. The glaze is wonderful too.”
-San Diego, CA