ROASTED APRICOT- GINGER GLAZED GAME HENS
Two 1½ lb. cornish hens
4 tsp toasted sesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup apricot preserves
2 tsp honey
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cornstarch
1. Set rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 450° F.
2. With a sharp knife or poultry shears, remove the backbones from the hens and slice through the breastbone, cutting hens in half.
3. Brush skin of the hens with 2 t. of the sesame oil and set them, skin side up, on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle skin with ½ t. salt and several grinds of pepper.
4. Roast until hens are almost cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh should register 165° F), about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 t. sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Stir in preserves, honey, soy sauce, and lemon juice; bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly, 4-5 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 t. water, add to saucepan, and cook until the mixture thickens, another 1 minute.
6. Brush the hens with the apricot-ginger glaze and continue to roast until the glaze has browned in spots and the thermometer registers 170° F. in the thigh, another 5-7 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Fine Cooking, April/May 2005
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]
“Mmmmmmmm! These were delicious! Mine started to brown too quickly so I had to tent a bit of foil on top during roasting to prevent burning. That did the trick, and they turned out great.
-San Diego, CA