Here’s a recipe for Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Apricot- Ginger Glaze:
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Apricot- Ginger Glaze
Two 1 1/2-pound cornish hens
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup apricot jam
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Set rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 450° F.
2. With a sharp knife or poultry shears, remove the backbones from the hens and slice through the breastbone, cutting hens in half.
3. Brush skin of the hens with 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil and set them, skin side up, on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle skin with 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper.
4. Roast until hens are almost cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh should register 165° F), about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in preserves, honey, soy sauce, and lemon juice; bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 teaspoon water, add to saucepan, and cook until the mixture thickens, another 1 minute.
6. Brush the hens with the apricot-ginger glaze and continue to roast until the glaze has browned in spots and the thermometer registers 170° F. in the thigh, another 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of apricot jam and soy sauce that are known to be GF.
SOURCE: Fine Cooking, April/May 2005