Dulce de Leche Pumpkin- Toffee Pie

Clearly, I have an addiction. I seem to be managing to find numerous recipes that contain my favorite Mexican sweet. My latest find: Dulce de Leche Pumpkin- Toffee Pie.

This recipe came along at just the right time… I’m in need of something new to bring to Thanksgiving at my In-Law’s house. Not being a huge lover of traditional pumpkin pie, I’m always looking to fancy it up so it doesn’t taste so pumpkiny and plain.

The concept is simple really- just spread a layer of dulce de leche (canned or homemade) on the bottom of your crust. My crust is definitely nothing special- some frozen type. I’ve mentioned before my fear-of-crusts. Crust recipes have failed me time after time, and I truly avoid making them if it’s at all possible.

Thankfully, this pie isn’t about the crust anyways. The pumpkin filling is poured over the top.

It bakes up perfectly! I doubled the given recipe and was able to come up with three pies.

Surely you can spot that nice layer of dulce on the bottom of the pie. You get a little bit of that with every bite.

OH yeah. There it is up close. Creamy and delicious and rich… everything a Thanksgiving dessert should be.

Add whipped cream and a sprinkle of toffee bits to complete the look. The toffee bits offer a crunchy twist and pair nicely with the flavor of the caramel.

The pie is still rather pumpkiny for me. It definitely tastes like pumpkin pie with a little caramelly edge to it. Is it possible to find some sort of version of pumpkin pie that isn’t really the norm? Let me know if you have suggestions for any that might fit that bill. I’ve still got some experimenting to do before I make my final decision for the big day.

This recipe (for those who do like pumpkin pie!) can be found here:  Dulce de Leche Pumpkin- Toffee Pie

And if you’re a toffee-lover, you might also like the pumpkin pie I tried out last year- it was rather excellent:
Pumpkin Pie with Toffee- Walnut Topping

54 Responses to “Dulce de Leche Pumpkin- Toffee Pie”

Snooky doodle — November 14, 2008 @ 8:46 AM

hmm this is surely more delicious than the regular pumpkin pie :) yummy

nimblejacks — November 14, 2008 @ 10:05 AM

HI, I love your blog. I have a question though. I’d love to make your Pumpkin cheescake topped brownies but here in UK I’ve never heard of Pumpkin Butter! What is it? Do you make it yourself or is it readymade and something you buy from shops?
    Mant thanks
    Hungry Claire in Wales UK

Manggy — November 14, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

Hey, you can do a lot worse than being addicted to dulce de leche! :) I love that, shy unassuming layer at the bottom– setting you up for a taste explosion :)

Nina Timm — November 14, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

Even the one who doesn’t eat pumpkin will love this. Perfect!

RecipeGirl — November 14, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

Nimblejacks- Lots of people don’t have access to jars of Pumpkin Butter… it’s one of those specialty items that you only see in some stores here in the US or only in the fall. Go ahead and Google “Pumpkin Butter Recipe” and you’ll come up with lots of options to make your own at home.

Stacey — November 14, 2008 @ 1:01 PM

That looks amazing! I think I’ll have to give it a shot on Thanksgiving.

Robin Sue — November 14, 2008 @ 2:37 PM

I am mad for dulce de leche! Love the stuff, can even eat it right from the can! This pie looks amazingly good, what a great addition to regular pumpkin pie. Yum!

Mommy's Kitchen — November 14, 2008 @ 2:39 PM

Lori that looks so darn good. I love Dulce De Leche. Hmm I think i will make this pie an take it to my Mother in laws for Thanksgiving. This is a wow of a pie.

Stacey Snacks — November 14, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

KG,
    You are killing me with all these sweet posts!!!
    I am gaining weight from looking at the screen!
    Beautiful pie.

Stacey Snacks

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — November 14, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

I think this looks like a great addition to the pumpkin pie repertoire! Those ingredients go really well together. I made something similar a few weeks ago also using pumpkin, dulce de leche and toffee, except that I added cream cheese. It really cut the “pumpkin-iness” of the pie. Plus, it had a crumb crust. No rolling! ;)

Clumbsy Cookie — November 14, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

Forget about the pumpkin layer, I’d be happy just with the dulce de leche! Great idea and can be used in a lot of pie flavours!

Katie — November 14, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

Oh my GOOOOOODNESS that looks amazing! What a GREAT variation on your regular pumpkin pie!! Starring this!!

Cathy — November 14, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Adding a gooey carmel layer to pumpkin pie is genius. And whipped cream on top of it. Just right.

Debbie — November 14, 2008 @ 5:08 PM

Wonderful idea! A little change from the usual pumpkin pie. It looks great.

Patsyk — November 14, 2008 @ 5:48 PM

That is a fantastic idea! Your pie turned out beautifully!

alexandra's kitchen — November 14, 2008 @ 6:13 PM

holy cow. RecipeGirl, addictions are just fine. Especially from Halloween to New Year’s Day, right? This looks unbelievably delicious. The pie has such a nice texture.

Jon — November 14, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

I insist that you mail me a piece of that pie.

CookiePie — November 14, 2008 @ 7:12 PM

Beautiful pie! I do love plain ol’ pumpkin pie… but what’s good is even better with dulce de leche in it!

Bunny Trails — November 14, 2008 @ 9:24 PM

Holy Hannah – I just gained 5 lbs looking at the screen! WOW, this is amazing looking. I’m thinking I might have to break my diet for sure this holiday :)

Half Baked — November 14, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

OMG yet another pumpkin pie I *must* make!! It looks super!

My Sweet & Saucy — November 14, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

What a great way to spice up the traditional thanksgiving pie! Fantastic!

Hillary — November 14, 2008 @ 11:42 PM

Pumpkin pie with dulce de leche? Why didn’t I think of that! You kicked my pumpkin pie tarts out of the park :)

silverdot — November 15, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

I love your blog! This pie looks absolutely heavenly.

cookienurse — November 15, 2008 @ 12:31 AM

I wonder what it would taste like if you folded in the dulce de leche or swirled it gently into the pumpkin puree?

RecipeGirl — November 15, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

cookienurse- I thought that too actually, however… not possible. The dulce is so incredibly thick, and the pumpkin puree is pure liquid when it is poured into the crust. The pumpkin layer doesn’t thicken up until it has baked. I can’t think of a way to combine the two, but I do think it’s probably best to keep just that thin layer of dulce on the bottom. Strewn throughout the pie might be a bit too much.

Susan from Food Blogga — November 15, 2008 @ 1:54 AM

This is magazine-worthy. Oh, my god, I want some really bad right now!

Katie — November 15, 2008 @ 3:18 AM

Yum! I love pie, but I have never had one like this before. It look fabulous!

Bunny — November 15, 2008 @ 3:25 AM

I like this, I like this way to much!! This is a I like this so much I could eat it all by myself pumpkin pie, help me!

MyKitchenInHalfCups — November 15, 2008 @ 3:47 AM

Shoot that looks totally grand to me. Maybe all this needs for a little less pumpkin would be to mix a little dulce in the pumpkin layer but oh my we’re really going over the top then.
    I think I’d love it just like it is.

That Girl — November 15, 2008 @ 4:30 AM

There’s a lot of stuff going on in that pie

Teresa Cordero Cordell — November 15, 2008 @ 5:47 AM

Lori, this is scrumptious. I love the Dulce de Leche flavor. Smart to dress up the standard pie with a new twist. You are a smart cookie.

Cakespy — November 15, 2008 @ 6:02 AM

Mr. Cakespy saw this and said he’s divorcing me for you and your pie. :-(

Thanks a lot, RecipeGirl! (kidding!)

VeggieGirl — November 15, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

Great, now MY addiction to dulce de leche is stronger, thanks to you, haha!! ;-)

Katrina — November 15, 2008 @ 2:08 PM

Yum-O! Looks and sounds de-lish as I don’t totally love regular pumpkin pie either. And you just can’t go wrong with caramel! Love the toffee bits on the top, too.

Grace — November 15, 2008 @ 2:44 PM

even though i love all squash, i’ve never had a piece of pumpkin pie that did it for me. i suspect that if i was ever gonna like a pumpkin pie, this would be the one. dulce de leche just makes me happy. :)

Lori Lynn — November 15, 2008 @ 3:53 PM

I’m with you, regular pumpkin pie needs some pizzaz. This sounds like a great idea. I might use that dulce de leche at the bottom of my pumpkin mousse…

Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" — November 15, 2008 @ 5:49 PM

Hey Lori

This looks and sounds very tempting. I too love dulce de leche everything, and this combination looks devine.

Dawn — November 15, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

I hate to say this but I’ve never been a fan of pumpkin pie, ever. But I would seriously try this, this looks waaaaay better than average pumpkin pie.
    Really nice job here!

We Are Not Martha — November 15, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

Ahhh you and your pumpkin recipes!! I can’t help but want to make every single one of them! This one looks just as amazing as all the others and a fabulous alternative to regular old pumpkin pie.

Sues

Meg — November 16, 2008 @ 2:42 AM

Oh this looks so delicious! This might make it to my Thanksgiving table.

Our Food Recipes — November 16, 2008 @ 3:57 AM

Hi…you have a great food recipes blog. Yummy pie ! Just added and faved you. Hope you can join Our Food Recipes. Thank You

Amber — November 16, 2008 @ 4:01 AM

I like pumpkin pie but it is a little boring. I learned how to make my dulce de leche from milk and sugar and baking soda. It is easy and very worth it but you have to hang around for 4 hours.
    This will be heaven.
    Thanks

Cakebrain — November 16, 2008 @ 5:14 AM

mmm. good looking pie! dulce de leche pairs so wonderfully with it!

noble pig — November 16, 2008 @ 7:15 AM

Now I love pumpkin pie but don’t mind switching it up. Sounds like a good alternative.

Daziano — November 16, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

This sounds perfect! I lived in Chile, and I can tell you: In Chile and Argentina baking is all about dulce de leche ;)

Medena — November 17, 2008 @ 12:52 AM

That is just scrumptious! What a neat idea!

Art of Dessert — November 17, 2008 @ 5:55 AM

This sounds sooo good! I love dulce de leche. I could eat it all by itself…and have LOL.
    What a great idea to add it into pumpkin pie ;-)

Angela — November 18, 2008 @ 2:07 AM

I’m with you — I have a fear of home-made crusts. This frozen crust looks amazing — and what a great idea for a twist on the pumpkin pie theme!

Pamela — November 18, 2008 @ 3:17 AM

OH.My.God! That pie looks incredible! I’ve only recently become acquainted with Dulce de Leche, and I am certainly a fan!

Ginny — November 18, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

Wow! This looks amazing…I can’t wait to try it! Dulce de Leche and Toffee are favorites of mine!

Deborah — November 19, 2008 @ 2:59 AM

Ok, this is one I have to try! Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving!?!

Kevin — November 19, 2008 @ 11:38 AM

That looks so good!

Anonymous — November 24, 2008 @ 2:45 PM

recipe girl!

Mix 1 cup of canned pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves and 1/2 tsp nutmeg in a bowl. Then fold in a 8 oz container of thawed coolwhip or 3 1/2 cups of whipped cream (whipped from heavy cream not an aresol can). Pour it into one of those already baked graham cracker crusts and freeze it. A lighter, sweeter version of pumpkin pie!

Peter M — November 25, 2008 @ 8:20 PM

OK, if one is to become a junkie, it might as well be with Dulce de Leche!

Please do continue…I’m hooked too!