Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Toffee Pie
- 1 deep dish pie crust (frozen or make your own)
- ¾ cup canned dulce de leche (about, maybe a little less)
- 2 large eggs
- One 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- One 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- whipped cream and toffee bits, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place rack on bottom.
- Press pie crust into a deep-dish pie pan (or remove frozen pie crust from freezer).
- Scoop dulce de leche into glass bowl and microwave about 20 seconds to soften it up a bit. Spoon dollops of dulce de leche into the pie crust. Evenly spread the caramel all the way to the edges.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in pumpkin and next 7 ingredients until smooth, then whisk in the milk. Pour filling on top of the caramel and place pan on a baking sheet to catch any caramel that may bubble out.
- Bake on bottom oven rack for about 50 minutes (center of pie should jiggle just slightly). Cool completely. Garnish with whipped cream and toffee bits, if desired.
- Canned dulce de leche can be found in the Latin section of well stocked supermarkets. Nestle makes it.
- If you double the recipe for the filling, you will likely have enough to fill three deep dish frozen crusts. With one pie, you might have a little bit extra filling, depending on the size of your pie pan.