Malted Milk Ball Cookies

I find myself a bit addicted to those malted milk balls known as ‘Whoppers.’ They really must be Whoppers. There’s a local market here that sells malted milk balls in bulk form and they just don’t taste as fabulous as the original.

In fact, I’m rather fond of all things that are malt… there’s the obvious:  ice cream malts (though vanilla is best because you can really taste the malt) and a rather fabulous Malted Mousse Cheesecake that I made last Easter, and then there’s these Malted Milk Cupcakes that I’m dying to try.

Most recently, I whipped up Malted Milk Cookies.
malted-milk-cookies2
The recipe calls for malted milk powder- look for it at your market… you will find it by the hot chocolate or the powdered milk (ask if you can’t find it). It’s not Ovaltine… it’s a white malted powder- Carnation is the brand I have.

You’ll need Whoppers too. Wow, who knew they came in Strawberry and Peanut Butter flavors too? Ew. I think I’ll stick with the chocolate ones.

These are some good cookies. Chocolate is the flavor that is prominent here. You can taste the malted milk a little bit, and the added chopped up malt balls help. When I make them again, I’ll add even more malt balls… perhaps strategically placed onto each dollop of cookie dough. A bonus about making these cookies? You’ll have extra Whoppers rolling around in your kitchen :)

This recipe can be found HERE.

40 Responses to “Malted Milk Ball Cookies”

1. postedMar 26, 2009 5:58 AM

Baking cookies for the guys poker game tomorrow night… printing off the recipe so I can add these to my baking for tonight!

2. postedMar 26, 2009 6:00 AM

Last night we were at the store and my hubby wanted to get some malted milk powder to make a frozen yogurt shake. Since I wasn’t feeling like a treat, I said no:) Oops! Now I want to go back and buy the powder to try these cookies. Maybe we can have shakes with the cookies, that would be really bad, but so good! Love this recipe!

3. postedMar 26, 2009 6:06 AM

I love cookies! Malted milk ball cookies? Heck, yes! Delicious–I’m sure the kids would love them, too.

4. postedMar 26, 2009 7:23 AM
    Nick

Did I just see you say “ew” to peanut butter? I hope not….Although I can’t stand Whoppers to begin with so the PB ones may make them even worse, yet somehow I can see the cookies tasting excellent.

5. postedMar 26, 2009 6:29 AM

YUM! I will have to check if the original Whoppers are peanut free.

6. postedMar 26, 2009 6:34 AM

I totally need to get some malted milk powder! These cookies sound so awesome, as does that cheesecake you mentioned above. Man oh man, I really need to board the malt train; I feel quite left behind.

7. postedMar 26, 2009 7:37 AM
    michelle

I dont know how I found you, but I did! I”m OBSESSED with whoppers. My husband asks me at the end of the week, how many boxes I ate! HA. I have a large box right now, but I try to spread it out throughout a few days! FOR REAL. I will be attempting this recipe! I just started a new cooking blog, so im glad to find you!

8. postedMar 26, 2009 6:57 AM

Oh my gosh Lor.. totally yumness!

9. postedMar 26, 2009 7:49 AM

I’m a huge fan of malted milk balls, and I love all the flavors! These cookies look amazing.

10. postedMar 26, 2009 8:39 AM

Oh no, the peanut butter malt balls at Henry’s (is that where you shop?) are SO good. It’s not flavored with PB, its just a layer of peanut butter wrapped around the malt ball and then dipped in chocolate. Bulk bins are awesome because you can get away with only getting one or two of the little treasures :-)

• March 26th, 2009 @ 8:57 AM
      RecipeGirl

Hallie- YES- it’s Henry’s I’m talking about. Don’t like their regular bulk malt balls at all, but will have to try the PB ones!!

11. postedMar 26, 2009 9:01 AM

Wow!! Those look cool!

12. postedMar 26, 2009 9:18 AM

If you want a real treat then try maltesers, they are awesome. They are a little lighter than whoppers. I’m sure shakespeares has them!

13. postedMar 26, 2009 9:34 AM

Oh I am going to have to DEFINITELY try these!!! I love love love malt! I won’t even drink a shake. Not worth the calories if it isn’t a MALT! I can eat a bag of robbin’s eggs allllll by myself!

14. postedMar 26, 2009 9:42 AM

These are genius!!! I adore malted milk balls!

15. postedMar 26, 2009 9:51 AM

I’m a sucker for anything with malt in it!

16. postedMar 26, 2009 10:10 AM

My neighbor makes these cookies and OMG they are so incredible – I find myself standing outside her door pacing until they come out of the oven!!

17. postedMar 26, 2009 10:38 AM

Omg! I have been experimenting with adding things to cookies lately but whoppers never even crossed my mind. I am definitely going to have to try these. Thansks for sharing!

18. postedMar 26, 2009 11:48 AM

I’m addicted to the malted milk balls too. If I eat one its all over! These cookies wouldn’t stand a chance!!! I’m going to keep an eye out for malted milk powder. Thanks for the great recipe:)

19. postedMar 26, 2009 12:31 PM

Strawberry whoppers? I can’t imagine what those might be like. I think I’ve tried peanut butter ones, though – in high school I worked at a candy counter (dangerous, I know!) and we had a good variety of malt balls. These cookies have got to be addictive, esp with the malted milk powder!

20. postedMar 26, 2009 12:39 PM

There are 4 people in my home who would love to taste-test these cookies…I better get busy!

P.S. Never seen those other flavor whoppers—I can’t even imagine what they would taste like!

21. postedMar 26, 2009 1:48 PM

these cookies look so good. I m craving some now ! Ilove malted milk balls

22. postedMar 26, 2009 1:56 PM

You know I don’t like malted milk balls (whoppers) but I do love vanilla ice cream malts! Duh, didn’t even realize there was a connection. Will have to give malt a try!
    ~ingrid

23. postedMar 26, 2009 2:13 PM

~*sigh*~ this is torture! I want them all, the cookies, AND the whoppers!

24. postedMar 26, 2009 2:13 PM

I went to grab an old jar of malted milk powder from my cabinet – it was so old it had solidified! Guess I need to get a new one.

25. postedMar 26, 2009 4:02 PM

ohhh yum. those cookies look amazing!

26. postedMar 26, 2009 4:07 PM

That is too funny, you have the whoppers on your picture also!! They look fantastic!

27. postedMar 26, 2009 4:29 PM

We’re seeing double today! Dine and Dish did a version of these too. You’ve got double the chocolate though. :)

28. postedMar 26, 2009 5:28 PM

It doesn’t seem like easter without the malted milk balls. I bet these cookies are killer!

29. postedMar 26, 2009 6:54 PM

I made these cookies before and the recipe I used asked for milk powder and yes, malted milk balls…….it was so yummee. I like your picture…although I don’t think I had some many malted balls left for a photograph!!!

30. postedMar 27, 2009 2:22 AM

hei those cookies are absolutely lash, now my douther wants me to make them with her.
    Thanks for the idea..

31. postedMar 27, 2009 3:32 AM
    Eliana

Whoppers melt my hear and bring me back to Halloweens as a kid when I’d make myself sick from eating so much candy. And these cookies look wonderful but I’m not sure I can handle extra whoppers laying around the house. Summer is just around the corner 😉

32. postedMar 27, 2009 3:25 AM

NOSTALGIA ALERT!!! Malted milk balls were amaaaaaazing 😀

33. postedMar 27, 2009 3:30 AM

Oooo I have malted milk powder, had to buy it for the Whopper Ice Cream I made a while back. That was awesome :) I’m going to have to try these cookies!

34. postedMar 27, 2009 8:21 AM

A combination of all things awesome. Great idea!

35. postedMar 27, 2009 11:37 AM

Oh, dear–would it be bad to eat 12 of those at one sitting?! I love Whoppers. We used to make a wonderful vanilla malt ice cream at the restaurant; I wonder why we never thought to put it in a cookie?!

36. postedMar 27, 2009 1:48 PM

Whoppers are indeed my childhood favourite too! I always love a malted when I go to the mall. I haven’t had one in ages! The cookies look yummilicious!

37. postedMar 27, 2009 6:30 PM

These sound awesome! My husband loves all things malted, so I must try these :)

38. postedMar 29, 2009 6:03 AM
    Wendy

Steve’s Ice Cream, (A Massachusetts Brand) used to have a malted vanilla icecream that I’d get with a butter brickle mix-in. Heaven!

39. postedMar 30, 2009 10:16 AM

My father LOVES Whoppers so I must make these for him!