Cuban Dinner Party Menu

Each month, our neighborhood’s Gourmet Club meets to share a themed dinner. We nix the kids and enjoy an evening full of great food, drinks and socializing with close friends. There are eleven couples in our group, but not all of us can attend every month. There were 14 of us sharing in our latest dinner: A Cuban Dinner Party.

One person hosts, chooses the theme & menu, and then asks what each person would like to bring. It’s a nice reason to go shopping for new dishes and decor (to match your chosen theme!)
cuban1
All recipes can be found by clicking on recipe titles:

Our full menu:

sangria-roasted-pork1
vegetable-paella1
avocado-and-onion-salad1
tres-leches-cake1
All was excellent!!!

Notes:
*Mojitos are a must- SO good.
*The guava paste/cheese combo is a classic cuban appetizer.
*I LOVED the yucca fries. It was my first time having had yucca, and everyone seemed to like these a lot.
*The crab cakes and calamari were also enjoyed.
*The Sangria pork was good- it surprisingly didn’t have a lot of flavor to it, but you could reduce the sauce and serve it alongside. It was very tender. The vegetable paella and avocado/onion salad were excellent served with the pork.
*We served slices of the very rich Tres Leches Cake for each couple to share (topped with whipped cream & star fruit and a scoop of vanilla ice cream). We picked up the star fruit at Specialty Produce.  It was actually really delicious eaten in bites with the cake & cream.  Everyone loved the cake!

It was a very successful dinner, and I’m adding it to my dinner party menus.

39 Responses to “Cuban Dinner Party Menu”

Louise — June 4, 2009 @ 4:54 AM

How cool is that menu recipe girl? I’m surprising ling attracted to the avocado and onion salad. It just makes me me want to cry with joy! I must try yucca, been wanting to to forever…Everything looks so enticing.

Michelle — June 4, 2009 @ 5:08 AM

What an awesome idea!! That is such a fun way to spend time together.

Maria — June 4, 2009 @ 5:15 AM

Looks like a fun party! Love the menu! I love dinner parties, I will have to try this theme sometime!

lisaiscooking — June 4, 2009 @ 5:49 AM

I haven’t had yucca in ages, and that just caught my eye this morning! Your fries and cilantro mayo look great!

Barbara — June 4, 2009 @ 5:53 AM

Looks like a fun party with lots of great food!

alexandra — June 4, 2009 @ 6:10 AM

Oh wow! What a feast. I wish I could by fresh lime juice … i’m such a weakling and my limes never produce enough juice. Rose’s lime juice tastes so artificial though. There must be a compromise?

I adore tres leches cake. will definitely make that this summer

Sarah — June 4, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

What an awesome menu! Everything sounds so unique and delicious! Those crab cakes – yum!

Adam — June 4, 2009 @ 6:22 AM

Sangria pork! Now that’s a great idea. I can hear the islands already :) And the tres leche cake… that doesn’t even need to be said :)

I totally hear you on the cinnamon rolls. It’s best to have one and walk away as you eat it… or run actually.

Glad to see that there is nothing too serious about your foot. Always remember to ice it down, and try some non-impact elliptical or something if you can. It can work :)

donna — June 4, 2009 @ 6:52 AM

Good Lord, lady! What an awesome spread!! Holy cow, I want to make 3 of these items right away!! And your mojitos look perfect!

courtney aka glamah — June 4, 2009 @ 7:15 AM

Wow! You ‘Put your foot in this dinner’ as we say. Amazing job.Whered do you store all this themed china. I need more space!Yucca is really good.

patsyk — June 4, 2009 @ 8:05 AM

What a fantastic meal! I’ve got to get a new supper club started, your menus are making me jealous!

Aggie — June 4, 2009 @ 9:10 AM

Wow Lori!! I love themed meals…this looks like an awesome spread!! I love easy apps like that one, and that paella is making my mouth water!

Lucy — June 4, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

What a wonderful menu…oooh how I wish I was a guest to this grand meal! KUDOS!!!

snooky doodle — June 4, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

I bet all the dishes were polished . looks so good !

The Duo Dishes — June 4, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

Quite the feast…everything looks good.

Teresa — June 4, 2009 @ 11:36 AM

Mojitos! And Tres Leches Cake. I want in with your group. The Sangria Roasted pork sounds absolutely divine. The table setting is beautiful too. Marvelous job Lori.

Joan Nova — June 4, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

Great menu overall — and I’m still crazy about the crabcake wrapped with plantain!

Janet — June 4, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

Awesome menu! I can’t wait to make those crab cakes! I haven’t had Yucca in years- now I have an excuse to get some… great party idea!

Judy — June 4, 2009 @ 1:44 PM

Looks like a bunch of great recipes! Can’t wait to try the avocado salad!

pigpigscorner — June 4, 2009 @ 1:49 PM

What a feast! I would love to try the crab cakes, guava paste on crackers and the cake!!

Hélène — June 4, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Fantastic meal. That must be such a great together.

CookiePie — June 4, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

What a fun group — and the food looks FANTASTIC!!

kellypea — June 4, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

You’ve got some great recipes here! When we do this, I swear I rarely get good photos. Perhaps I can blame it on the wine — or my complete lack of patience! Nice job.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — June 4, 2009 @ 4:36 PM

OMG that looks great – I too am in a club called Gourmet Girls we meet every other month – We are meeting this Friday and the theme is BBQ. Will be fun!!

elra — June 4, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

Would love to have dinner party like this. I grew up with yuca and plantain. Back in Indonesia, we had fried yuka for afternoon snack. Delicious! Love love love that plantain wrap crab cake. I really want to try to make it. Everything is so Yummy! Oh, of course I love Mojito!

Bren — June 5, 2009 @ 5:31 AM

you all hit it on the head… great looking table! glad you picked up the sunflowers! so typical in our homes! if i ever get my hands or Cuban crackers (only found in Miami and NJ), I’ll send you some. then you can really experience the guava con cream cheese! like u said, another classic in our parties/snacks! and considering i don’t eat pork, i can appreciate the veggie paella! good job girl!!!

Bren — June 5, 2009 @ 5:34 AM

oh!! and i totally invite you to check out my vid on making boiled yucca with citrus mojo! i promise you will absolutely love if u liked them fried! it’s on the site under Flanboyant TV!

zoe — June 5, 2009 @ 7:48 AM

Great feast!! Everything is so delectable and aunthentic!

VeggieGirl — June 5, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

Fabulous dinner party theme!! Love the sounds of that avocado & onion salad.. so refreshing!!

Jeff — June 5, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

I think my invitation may have gotten lost in the mail so I am going to go ahead and send it to you again :-)

I love this idea and I wish I had cool people around here who would participate. Heck I have a BBQ and ask people to bring sides dishes and I end up with 10 bags of chips, veggie tray, and a thing of dip.

Ivy — June 5, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

What a lovely party. Everything sounds delicious, a few things are new to me like guava and yucca fries but I am very curious about that tres leches cake.

ingrid — June 5, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Everything looks insanely good. Several of us neighbors are quite pretty good friends I should see if anyone would be up for one of these. Sounds like so much fun and a good night out away from the kiddos!
    ~ingrid

food librarian — June 6, 2009 @ 3:31 PM

I heart guava paste! This is the best party ever!

RobinSue — June 7, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

Lori this is a beautiful menu. You out did yourself. It is so nice to try new flavors and foods. It did look like a lot of fun!

Lori Lynn — June 7, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

Oh what a great menu! And your table is so festive.
    You could open your own paladar!
    Lori Lynn

Girl Japan — June 9, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

DAMN…. you blew me away… what a fab, fab menu, so tell me Recipe girl, when will you open a bistro?

Manuela — June 10, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

Beautiful party! Amazing food! The Guava paste with cheese is also something Brazilians eat – a lot!!

Peter — June 12, 2009 @ 4:06 AM

Lori, the menu and photos are outstanding! Three Cheers for Cuba and let’s hope the embargo’s lifted soon so everyone can visit this beautiful country.

We are not Martha — June 15, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

Wow, that’s a great idea! I want to be a part of a Gourmet Club! Plantain wrapped crabcakes sound PERFECT! I’ll have to keep those in mind the next time I’m entertaining! :)

[Chels]