Roasted Butternut Squash with Garlic, Sage and Pine Nuts

Butternut1
Butternut2
Here’s a great recipe for my favorite fall vegetable: Roasted Butternut Squash with Garlic, Sage & Pine Nuts.

Here’s the How-To:
Butternut3
Cut the butternut squash in half directly down the middle lengthwise. It’s gonna be kinda tough to do… use your sharpest knife and be careful (this is the hardest part). Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff with a large Tablespoon.
Butternut4
Cut off the ends.  Use a peeler to peel the exterior skin off of each half of the butternut squash. Peel it down until you see orange (that’s the good stuff).
Butternut5
Get out that sharp knife again and cut 1/2-inch strips down the length of the squash. Then cut crosswise to make a whole bunch of chunks.
Butternut6
Scrape all of those perfect, beautiful, orange cubes into a medium bowl, and measure out some olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Toss it until it’s all nicely coated.
Butternut7
Spread it out on a baking sheet and roast it in the oven until it’s tender and slightly caramelized.
Butternut8
While the squash is a-roastin’, saute garlic, fresh chopped sage and pine nuts in a little bit of olive oil.
Butternut10
Toss the sauteed goodies with the roasted squash and your dish is complete!

Psssst…. secret tip: If you’re a fan of goat cheese, it’s fabulous sprinkled on top. (Thank me later).

I made this dish last week and had it for lunch three days in a row (with the goat cheese). And now I’m craving it again.  It’s good stuff.

This recipe can be found here: Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage

50 Responses to “Roasted Butternut Squash with Garlic, Sage and Pine Nuts”

Bianca — November 2, 2009 @ 1:21 AM

This looks sooo good. I think I’m gonna give it a go this week ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet — November 2, 2009 @ 4:05 AM

Cutting butternut squash really hurts my hands! And I LOVE goat cheese on top. It is so good. I had some this weekend with brown butter sauce…oh yum.

Ciaochowlinda — November 2, 2009 @ 5:08 AM

beautiful pictorial instructions and great looking final dish. I heart butternut squash too.

Jojo — November 2, 2009 @ 5:17 AM

PUT THE CAMERA DOWN!

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAMERA!

Your pictures may be worth a thousand words but THEY SAY NOTHING that helps the reader make your recipe. Just because it’s easy, does not mean digital photography must be over used.

Less is more.

nina — November 2, 2009 @ 5:20 AM

Beautiful tutorial!!!! So many people ask me how to peel a butternut, I’ll send them straight here!!!!

bridget {bake at 350} — November 2, 2009 @ 5:34 AM

Your pictures are just gorgeous! They make me want to go buy a butternut squash right now! :) I never knew to peel one that way…very helpful!

Nancy — November 2, 2009 @ 5:36 AM

The pictures look great! I, for one, am very visual so I like tons of pictures.

Also, I missed the part where you asked for feedback on the pictures or asked to be told how to write your blog! Don’t see that mentioned anywhere in this post! Mmmh…

Kay — November 2, 2009 @ 5:49 AM

Get lost, will you, Jo-Jo. Or should I say Joe? You’re not funny, witty or even smart, seeing as you keep coming back the the blogs you whine about constantly.

Elle — November 2, 2009 @ 5:52 AM

As Supreme Ruler and Dictator of your blog, Lori–you have final say on what gets posted. If Jojo doesn’t like it, he/she should move on to one that suits his/her better. There’s something for everyone out there, right? Jojo, do you have a blog? You know, so we can all check it out? It must be beautiful.

I think the amount you have is juuust right. And the recipe looks wonderful for the cool weather!

Jason Sandeman — November 2, 2009 @ 6:20 AM

All of those ingredients pair very well. Good job on this post.

One thing I usually do when using butternut is cut them in half, scrape out the seeds, then cut the butternut into 1 CM slices. I then peel off the skin, and have a half-moon veg. It makes for an interesting shape.

Janet — November 2, 2009 @ 7:22 AM

I can always count on you, Lori,for amazing posts with perfectly plentiful pics! I think JoJo is just jealous, because obviously she comes bac to drool ;-) , and this is a drool worthy post!

Karen Babb — November 2, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

Just enough pictures to show how you prepare “YOUR” recipe. Thanks for the tip about the goat cheese, I will try that. Thank you also for including your website at the end of the recipe, I always try to add that to any recipe I borrow from an internet food site, it helps remember where you got it. Keep up the great recipes, we all appreciate them (well except maybe JoJo!)

Josie — November 2, 2009 @ 7:44 AM

Ooooo…. Wouldn’t this be good with toasted pepitas in place of the pine nuts? I am on a serious pepita kick right now – like eating them every day kind of obsession.

Barbara — November 2, 2009 @ 8:14 AM

I’ve got a butternut squash sitting in my kitchen right now. Must try this recipe!

cookiepie — November 2, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

GORGEOUS photos and the dish sounds so yummy!!!

Sarah — November 2, 2009 @ 9:32 AM

Thanks! I can’t wait to try this!

VeggieGirl — November 2, 2009 @ 9:51 AM

You had me at squash & garlic :)

Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} — November 2, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

This sounds absolutely delicious! I just had butternut squash for the FIRST time yesterday – can you believe it?! It was roasted with some olive oil, salt, thyme, brown sugar and maple syrup. I could have eaten the whole pan!

Frenchie — November 2, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Very few things make me happier than roasted vegetables, no matter the season they are the perfect addition to any meal. I love that you added pinenuts, sage and garlic to give the squash and extra dose of flavor and texture.

Jen Schall — November 2, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

I love butternut squash… This sounds like a fantastic dish!

C Frechette — November 2, 2009 @ 7:57 PM

This looks so yummy!What do you think would go well with this (as far as a main dish?

noble pig — November 2, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

I am a squash-a-holic and this looks amazing!

southern hostess — November 2, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

This sounds so good!

Gina — November 3, 2009 @ 5:40 AM

Can’t wait to try this healthy and delicious recipe I linked to you here: http://haircuttinginhighheels.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-love-trader-joes.html

Katerina — November 3, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

Everything is good with a little goat cheese sprinkle on top right?

I do find that blue cheese goes really well with squash and sage too!

karen — November 3, 2009 @ 4:36 PM

Mmmmm, I love butternut squash. Yours looks great!

Yael — November 3, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

Thanks for the recipe! It looks simple and delicious.

Rosa — November 4, 2009 @ 5:47 AM

A mouthwatering dish! Great flavors! I love pumpkins the savory and sweet way…

Cheers,

Rosa

Mixing Bowl Mama — November 4, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

Delicious! I love squash and the addition of sage is brilliant!

Manggy — November 4, 2009 @ 7:55 AM

Oh yes, please. I’m also going to add a bit of butter, yum!! :)

Marge — November 4, 2009 @ 10:40 AM

This is a yummy looking recipe, and not a combination I’d thought of before. Gotta get me a butternut squash….

Sheila | Live Well 360° — November 4, 2009 @ 11:51 AM

Yum. I love butternut squash! It’s one of my favorite ravioli fillings. Last year at Thanksgiving I made a fabulous butternut squash and vanilla risotto (http://su.pr/1apS3C), it turned out sooooo good.

I am looking forward to trying this sage + buttery squashy goodness combo!

Sues — November 4, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

YUM! I made a butternut squash with fried sage and gorgonzola a few weeks ago and it was absolutely fabulous!I love the addition of pine nuts!

megan — November 5, 2009 @ 6:32 AM

I love butternut and I like the additions you’ve mixed in. I have everything but the goat cheese. But that will change today!

Nora — November 5, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

I just made this dish for a potluck that I have tomorrow at the office. I ABSOLUTELY AM IN LOVE WITH IT! wonderful recipe and so simple. Gracias RecipeGirl!

patsyk — November 6, 2009 @ 5:50 PM

I adore butternut squash! Will have to try it with your sauteed goodies next time I make it… yum!

Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef — November 7, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

I’ve been cooking with butternut squash a lot lately and love this recipe for it!

CB — November 10, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

Erika — November 14, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

Made this tonight for dinner and everyone (including my 18 month old) gobbled it up! Thanks for such a delectable dish :)

terri ford — November 22, 2009 @ 9:34 AM

Loved the pictures thanks for posting this. I am trying to find ways to incorporate more fresh veggies into everyday life and this sounds incredible.

Ali s — January 6, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

Do you think Cilantro would work, in place of sage, in this recipe? (not fried, natch, but added at the end, fresh)

• Lori Lange replied: — January 6th, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

Ali- not sure about cilantro… maybe, if you’re a big fan of the stuff. If you try it, please let me know how it went!

daphnec — April 18, 2010 @ 8:38 PM

The pictures are awesome, and really helpful.

Krista — September 23, 2010 @ 6:43 PM

I have never liked butternut squash, but this looked so good that I think I need to give it a second chance. Really, as soon as you said it was great with goat cheese on top you convinced me! Great photos!

Jen G. — October 24, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

Thank you for this great step-by-step tutorial. Your pictures actually made me want to try this recipe and gave me a great new way of prepping squash. And what I love most about your format is that anyone could follow this recipe because of your detailed photographs including children and people who don’t speak English. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with the WORLD wide web.

• Lori Lange replied: — October 24th, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

@Jen G., You’re very welcome :) Glad it was helpful!

nancy — November 20, 2010 @ 5:15 PM

Sounds delicious! How many people does this recipe serve at a Thanksgiving dinner with lots of trimmings?

Lady Amalthea — February 14, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

Sounds divine! Probably also good with pistachios instead of the pine nuts. I have some frozen butternut squash puree I may heat up with the sauteed garlic, sage and pine nuts (or pistachios) on top.

LC — November 2, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

A friend made this and I wanted to eat the whole bowl ( but didn’t) it was that yummy!