4th of July Recipes: Tequila- Soaked Watermelon Wedges

If you don’t have any kids around, or if you have a good place to put these where the kids won’t get to them and want to grab a slice to munch on, then this is a good recipe for you to make for a 4th of July (or other summery) party: Tequila- Soaked Watermelon Wedges.

True story… I tested these out a couple of weeks ago for just my husband and myself. I soaked the watermelon wedges in a spiked simple syrup and then placed them on a platter on our countertop and sprinkled them with lime juice and sea salt. Then I went in the other room to do something. My son (9) came wandering in the house. As I walked into the kitchen, he had a watermelon wedge in his hand and was getting ready to take a bite… when I screamed and said,

“Don’t eat that!”

He had a very puzzled look on his face and asked why. “They have alcohol in them, ” I tried to explain. To which he responded, “How did you spill alcohol on them?”

Kidding aside, they’re really quite delicious, and aren’t overwhelmed with tequila flavor. The best way to describe them is that it’s like you’re eating a watermelon and drinking a margarita at the same time.

Ice cold, dripping with juice, lime wedges and a little dish of sea salt provided, these are perfect for an (adult) summer party. I’d even cut them into smaller wedges to make them appetizer-sized. Or you could use a melon scooper to scoop out round balls of watermelon to soak in the syrup, then place two watermelon balls on a toothpick and serve them that way. yum!

This recipe can be found here: Tequila- Soaked Watermelon Wedges

14 Responses to “4th of July Recipes: Tequila- Soaked Watermelon Wedges”

Jessica @ How Sweet — June 24, 2010 @ 4:09 PM

This sounds perfect to me. Well, anything with tequila sounds perfect. :)

Jason Sandeman — June 24, 2010 @ 4:23 PM

I can totally see my son doing that! I wonder though, one could puree the watermelon, and then freeze them in kind of Tequila pops? That would be lovely as well.

I just concocted a drink last night that was Watermelon, Sprite, Passionfruit and Vodka. Simply divine!

I would love to party with you, you sound like a great host!

Eliana — June 24, 2010 @ 5:55 PM

You had me at Tequila Lori!!!! This will get any party started the right way.

vallih@telus.net — June 24, 2010 @ 6:58 PM

This is always fun to serve at a celebration.

The Duo Dishes — June 24, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Oh yes. This will work just fine! (Next time try pickling the melon rinds!)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 24, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

That’s a great idea. We don’t have any kids, but this would be a fun joke to play on my hubby. hehe

Jenn

Sues — June 25, 2010 @ 4:38 AM

Wow, what an awesome idea! In college, we filled a watermelon with vodka, but this idea is much classier and perfect for a summer picnic. Love it!!

nina — June 25, 2010 @ 7:14 AM

Those watermelon slices look so innocent, but they do have that punch is see!!

Kara — June 26, 2010 @ 3:28 AM

That story about your son is hilarious! Glad you caught him just in time! And I love the idea of “melon-balling” these – that would be such great presentation!

Lynn — June 29, 2010 @ 5:49 AM

What an awesome idea! Ideal way to pack your cocktail in a picnic.

Cathy at Wives with — June 29, 2010 @ 7:49 AM

What could be more perfect for the 4th of July than big slices of ripe watermelon! The addition of a little tequila makes it all the better. Your photos are gorgeous.

Barbara — June 29, 2010 @ 12:39 PM

I love it…”how did you spill alcohol on it?” So funny.
    I’ve made this, but never have used lime. Going to try it that way.

Lori Lange — June 29, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

@Cathy at Wives with, Thanks!

Kim Kelly (Liv Life) — July 15, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

I came across this recipe a few days ago and keep thinking about it. As I just cut open a perfect watermelon this evening, I think I will have to make these for our local Jazz in the Park evening tomorrow!