If you’re looking for a new way to grill your chicken, try this recipe for Chicken Breasts with Pineapple Tequila Marinade.
There is a ton of great flavor in this marinade, but the pineapple juice really stands out as the star. The tequila is in there too, and it adds an element of flavor to the chicken as well. Don’t worry about it being overwhelmed with tequila flavor- it’s not. And the cooking process kind of cooks out the alcohol anyways.
This pineapple tequila marinade is very much sweet and spicy. It’s not overloaded on spice, but there is just enough added in to give it great flavor.
After a quick 30-minute marinating time, the chicken is removed from the marinade and added to a hot grill. A bit of reserved marinade is used to baste the chicken while grilling- to keep it moist and keep adding flavor to the chicken.
I recommend grilling pineapple alongside your chicken. It happens to make a nice side dish for this meal!
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy Sheet Pan Paprika Chicken or Grilled Sticky Honey Lime Shrimp. Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls and Teriyaki Burgers with Grilled Pineapple are good choices too.
Chicken Breasts with Pineapple Tequila Marinade
A delicious marinade recipe for chicken!
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, stir together the marinade ingredients. Remove 1/2 cup of marinade and reserve for basting the chicken later. Pour the rest of the marinade in a 13x9-inch pan. Add the chicken breasts and marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high. When grill is ready, lightly oil the rack.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place the chicken on the rack. Close the grill, basting often with the reserved marinade until it is used up, and turning the breasts every 2 minutes. Continue to grill for at least 2 minutes after the marinade is used up, turning the breasts once, until just done through while remaining juicy. Total grilling time should be about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and let them rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
Across the grain and at a slight angle, carve the chicken breasts into thin slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot or warm.
- *WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS PER SERVING (4 servings): 4
- *Serve with grilled pineapple and lime wedges, for squeezing (optional).
- *If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use brands of soy sauce and ketchup that are known to be GF.