posted in Dinner at 6

Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork

I feel a little frazzled right now. The remaining weeks of basketball season and the beginnings of Little League baseball are overlapping. Between the two sports, we’re busy with practices and games 6 nights a week. I’m sure I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I have only one child that I’m shuttling from practice to practice, and I know very well that there are families out there who are trying to manage their way through multiple sports and numerous children. I honestly don’t know how large families do it. I’d be frantic and exhausted.

In any case, there is little time for dinner on sport’s nights. More often than not on days like this, I turn to my slow cooker to make dinner for us– and I usually make something large enough that will give us a couple of nights of good dinners. It’s a relief to come home to “dinner already done,” and it’s a whole lot healthier than picking up fast food. My latest slow cooker recipe success: Root Beer Pulled Pork (for sandwiches).

Here’s the (very simple) how-to:

Purchase a pork roast- butt or shoulder cut, and trim of any obvious excess fat slabs.

Sprinkle on an envelope of dried onion soup mix (or some dehydrated onions).

With clean hands, rub the mix into the meat on all sides. (full disclosure: I paid my 9 year old a dollar to do this for me so I could take the picture :) ) Give it a good sprinkle of salt and pepper too.

Place your seasoned roast into your slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, mix a can of root beer with a half cup of your favorite bbq sauce. I like the Jack Daniel’s brand, but Sweet Baby Rays is pretty darn good too.

Pour the root beer-BBQ sauce mixture over your pork roast. Then let it cook LOW and slow for 10 or 11 hours.

When your roast has reached an internal temperature of over 190 degrees F., the meat should pull easily apart and away from the bone. At this point you can remove the roast to a cutting board and use two forks to pull apart the meat into shreds. It then goes back into the (almost drained) slow cooker with more BBQ sauce and is left to heat for a few minutes.

Serve a good scoopful of pulled pork on a warmed bun. We like ours with potato salad (easy to make ahead) and pickles.

And you can see just how very tender this pork turns out to be. Perfect. And easy. And stress-free for those busy, busy nights  :)

This recipe can be found here: Root Beer Pulled Pork

Other slow-cooker recipes worthy of trying:
Beef Stroganoff
Easy Chicken Santa Fe
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken & Beans
Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos
Slow Cook Tuscan Sausage & Bean Soup

48 Responses to “Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork”

1. postedFeb 14, 2011 6:46 AM

The last picture is making my mouth water! This looks amazing Lori.

2. postedFeb 14, 2011 7:11 AM

Josh loves pulled pork. I will have to show him your recipe. I am sure he will want to try it soon!

3. postedFeb 14, 2011 7:49 AM

Mmmmm, my boys would be so excited if I showed them Root Beer was going into dinner! Looks great Lori!

4. postedFeb 14, 2011 8:36 AM

Everyone has the right to feel overwhelmed. Even you. :) Having a slow cooker on hand should make it easier to get things done without even having to think!

5. postedFeb 14, 2011 12:10 PM

I love slow-cooked pulled pork! This version looks so easy!

6. postedFeb 14, 2011 12:57 PM

This sounds weird and yet I’m positive it is amazing. It reminds me (vaguely) of a southern dish I learned about when reading Nigella Lawson. That involves simmering a ham in coke. She does a wonderful version simmered in gingerale and studded with candied ginger. That all has made me realize that sweet pop with meat is somehow a great combination.

7. postedFeb 14, 2011 1:22 PM

Now this is some happening comfort food! Loving the idea of the slow cooker :)

8. postedFeb 14, 2011 1:29 PM

Lori, this pulled pork is mouthwatering! My husband has been begging me to make it for a while now, and I think now that I have this recipe, it’s about time! I can practically taste it from here! Thanks for sharing. :)

9. postedFeb 14, 2011 2:48 PM

I’ve always wanted to try root beer pulled pork. This looks great, Lori!

10. postedFeb 14, 2011 3:24 PM

I make this all the time, it’s so easy but soo good. I make a root beer and fennel slaw to go with it.

11. postedFeb 14, 2011 3:36 PM

We have the same crazy sports schedule starting and it certainly makes cooking dinner difficult. This meal is a wonderful solution!

12. postedFeb 14, 2011 4:09 PM

Hi Lori-We have basketball season too now. This is a great idea for next Monday night which is our practice night. The last photo is making me hungry for a bite-yum!:)Happy Valentine’s Day!

13. postedFeb 14, 2011 4:14 PM

I am a huge fan of pork butt roasts. Not only do they cook up SO beautifully in a crock pot and are so versatile, but I love how affordable they are! I’m loving the idea of the root beer. Definitely going to ahve to try this one out!!

14. postedFeb 14, 2011 4:20 PM

Yum! Looks amazingly delicious!

15. postedFeb 14, 2011 5:36 PM
    Leslie Green

Games SIX nights a week! That is Crazy! But your sandwiches look CARZY good too!

16. postedFeb 14, 2011 7:05 PM

I love pulled pork recipes like this!

17. postedFeb 15, 2011 2:34 AM

Wowee! And I can just shove this in my crock pot?! It looks absolutely amazing and I simply have to try this soon.

18. postedFeb 15, 2011 8:42 AM

I have no words. Salivating right now…

19. postedFeb 15, 2011 10:48 AM
    nicole kraft

I hear ya, im feeling like i have no time lately ( 5 kids and a busy schedule) i turn to my slow cooker a lot! i will give this a try asap! thanks :)

20. postedFeb 15, 2011 1:49 PM

Now this is different and definitely tasty sounding. Being the through-and-through Southerner that I am, I’ve had this done with Coca-Cola (hams, too) of course, but never root beer! Great idea!

21. postedFeb 15, 2011 2:05 PM

Oh pulled pork.. Drool.

22. postedFeb 15, 2011 6:29 PM

This looks good, Lori. Long live the slow cooker!

23. postedFeb 15, 2011 9:04 PM

I made this pulled pork overnight. My family has eaten it for lunch and dinner. My hubby has told me to throw away my old pulled pork recipe and to make this one from now on. Just wish I could find those delicious looking buns! Thanks Lori!!

• February 15th, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

@Pattie, Oh, yay! Glad you guys enjoyed it so much. I found those buns at Albertsons in the bakery area. These are also good served as little sliders on those delicious little Hawaiian buns.

24. postedFeb 15, 2011 10:00 PM

This post makes me want to RUN out and buy a slow cooker. Great, easy recipe and perfect solution for a hectic life. Thanks for the inspiration!

25. postedFeb 15, 2011 11:20 PM

Wow Lori you have been busy! Yet you still manage to whip up a delicious dinner! Looks great girl!

26. postedFeb 16, 2011 12:25 AM

I’m so making this. I love pulled pork! Do you ever top your with slaw?

I’ve heard Sweet Baby Rays is good. I need to try it.

27. postedFeb 16, 2011 8:22 AM

Your recipes are amazing. I really enjoyed the pulled pork.

• February 16th, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

@MBLS, Thank you- & glad to hear you enjoyed!

28. postedFeb 16, 2011 3:06 PM

Oh my this looks so good! I’m on a pulled pork kick lately so this is great!

29. postedFeb 26, 2011 6:11 AM

It is in the pot now! I Can’t wait 10 hours! Torture.

30. postedJun 23, 2011 2:21 PM

I made this for dinner tonight. SOOO flavorful and tasty! Love using the slowcooker so I don’t have to scramble at 4pm to get dinner made – but just enjoy the afternoon. Thanks!

31. postedSep 15, 2011 4:19 PM
    Dave Fifield

Sounds like the ticket. If you serve coleslaw add honey.

• September 16th, 2011 @ 5:32 AM

Great tip!

32. postedFeb 5, 2012 7:21 PM

Tried this this weekend…it’s so easy and was fantastic

33. postedFeb 22, 2012 5:41 PM

Looks great! But question…you say put it back in the almost drained cooker – do you actually drain off most of the juice or does it evaporate? Going to make this for 500 weekend and don’t want to screw it up…

34. postedApr 4, 2012 4:29 AM

I am planning on making this for Easter and will be serving it about 1pm. If I out it in the crockpot at night and let it cook until time to serve will that be long? Will it dry out the meat?

• April 4th, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Well, I haven’t done it. But I’m guessing if you keep it on low and keep it in the liquid, it should be okay! Be sure to check on it in the morning and see how it’s doing.

35. postedApr 9, 2012 3:57 AM

I ended up staying up until midnight to put this on. This was worth the loss of sleep. It was a huge hit! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes

36. postedSep 12, 2012 3:04 PM
    Lara Parker

Can I use a Sprite soda instead of root beer? We can’t have gluten and believe it or not, root beer has gluten in the caramel flavoring/colorings.
    Does it work as well with other sodas?
    Looks tasty!

37. postedNov 5, 2012 5:32 PM

Just made this today, good recipe! I dont really taste the root beer in the pulled pork, but it was nice and moist and well seasoned… and the house smelled great! keep on doing slow cooker recipes, please!

38. postedDec 5, 2012 7:41 PM

Can I make this a day or 2 ahead of time? IF so how would you recommend reheating? I was thinking keep all the liquid seperate and then put pork back into liquid to reheat?

• December 5th, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

I’m not sure… I would think the pork would dry out if it’s separated from the liquid.

39. postedJan 14, 2013 7:28 PM

Just purchased a slow cooker for this recipe :) I’m planning on winning some man’s heart with this type of food.

40. postedSep 4, 2013 9:04 PM

I love pulled pork and I’m itching to try this recipe! I wonder if this can be made into a filling of a savory pie..

41. postedOct 15, 2015 4:22 PM

Maybe using some concentrated root beer syrup for making home made root beer, lots of fresh garlic, onion and a GOOD brand of liquid hickory smoke, apple cider vinegar and a good squirt of yellow mustard, then you’d have a winner. I made something very close to this once and never again. A can of root beer makes it way to watery. This comes from someone who rarely drinks soda but when I do root beer is my favorite and pork is my favorite meat.