These Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches with White Barbecue Sauce are one of my favorite recipes to make for Super Bowl Sunday or for a small party with friends.
This pork is so delicious that you would think it roasts all day long. This is a great, quick-and-easy pulled pork recipe. The biscuits are delicious too, and the sauce is such a big hit! You’ll make some homemade sweet potato biscuits and pile on tender, perfectly spiced pork with white barbecue sauce to make Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Alabama proudly claims fame to its vinegary, white barbecue sauce, so you get to sample this regional treasure!
How to make Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
Pork tenderloin is cut into chunks and simmered with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, spices and a little bit of water.
While the pork is simmering, you can make the sauce. It’s a simple mix of mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper and salt. It should be refrigerated until ready to use.
After simmering for about an hour, the pork is removed from the pan and shredded. Once you move the pulled pork to a bowl, you’ll pour the pan juices into the bowl too so you can keep the pork nice and tender.
Simple sweet potato biscuits are on the menu too. The recipe makes 24 biscuits, so with one serving you get to eat two little Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches (feeding 12 people total).
Note: they won’t be super fluffy biscuits that you’re used to. They’ll be a little flatter. Flat is good, since you’ll be biting into it like a sandwich!
Cut the biscuits in half and put a spoonful of pulled pork on the bottom half. Drizzle a little bit of white Alabama barbecue sauce on top of the pork.
This is a fabulous, different kind of pulled pork sandwich recipe that I think you’ll enjoy very much. The pulled pork and sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. Heat the pork in its juices when it’s time to serve. Bake the biscuits the day you want to make the sandwiches. Enjoy!
Here are a few more pork tenderloin recipes you might like to try:
- Cranberry Pork Tenderloin
- Sweet and Spicy Pork Tenderloin
- Honey Sesame Pork Tenderloin
- Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin
- Ginger Glazed Pork Tenderloin
Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches with White Barbecue Sauce
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- dash of salt
- 1¼ pounds pork tenderloin, fat trimmed and discarded
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (about 3/4 pound potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup nonfat milk
PREPARE THE SAUCE:
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
PREPARE THE PORK:
- Cut the pork in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into 2½-inch chunks. Combine the apple cider vinegar and the remaining pork ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add the pork to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove the pork from cooking liquid; shred with 2 forks. Place the pork in a serving dish; pour the cooking liquid over the pork.
PREPARE THE BISCUITS:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the potato, sugar, butter and milk; stir well. Pour over the dry ingredients; stir until a soft dough forms (the dough will feel sticky). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; knead lightly 5 to 6 times. Roll the dough into a 10-inch circle; cut 24 biscuits with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. You'll need to cut and then re-roll scraps and cut again. Place biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the biscuits from the pan; cool on a wire rack.
ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES:
- Place pork and a dollop of the white barbecue sauce in between two biscuits. Serving size is 2 biscuits, ¼ cup pork and 2½ teaspoons barbecue sauce.