posted in Breakfast & Brunch

Peach Freezer Jam

I’ve come to realize that sweet peaches are the best summer fruit ever, especially when used for Homemade Peach freezer Jam.

Peach Freezer Jam

When I made my Homemade Blueberry Jam back in July, I waxed poetically about how much I adored Peach Jam.  So it only makes sense that Peach Jam is finally making its debut here on RecipeGirl.  It’s the most delicious flavor of jam on the planet if you ask me.  It goes well with peanut butter and bread, it’s fantastic on English muffins, and it even spoons nicely on vanilla ice cream.  I guess you have to love peaches to adore peach jam.  And I most definitely do!

Peach Freezer Jam 2

Your peaches must be peeled in order to make peach jam.  Don’t even bother grabbing a knife and trying to cut the peel off (you’ll waste a ton of peach flesh that way).  Use the boiling method (seen step-by-step HERE)- it’s super easy to do, and it’s so much easier than trying to figure out how to cleanly get all of that fuzz off of the peaches!  About 5 to 6 peaches are sliced and roughly pureed in a food processor.  You really do need a food processor for this one.

Peach Freezer Jam 3

A small amount of white grape juice (or apple) is boiled with no-sugar-needed pectin.  Then the peaches are added with sugar (just a cup, less if you want) and a little cinnamon.  Everything gets hard boiled for a few minutes.

Peach Freezer Jam 4

The peach mixture won’t look like jam quite yet.  Pour it into glass jars while it’s nice and hot.

Peach Freezer Jam 5

You should be able to fill five 8-ounce jars (my sister actually uses the little Glad containers without any problems too).  This is the kind of jam that is FREEZER JAM (it’s stored in the freezer).  If you’re looking for instructions on how to can the jam and stick it on the shelf, I’m not your girl.  I’m not schooled on canning practices (yet!)

Peach Freezer Jam -

Place the lids on top and then let them sit at room temp for several hours until the jam is no longer warm (it will begin to thicken and set).  Stick them in the freezer and take them out to use when the mood for peach jam strikes.  Won’t it be fun in the middle of winter if you want some fresh peach jam and you can just take it out of your freezer to enjoy??  I’m excited about that.

Peach Freezer Jam 6

Keep one jar out now to play with.  Make a peanut butter and peach jam sandwich, or spread some of that delicious peach jam on a biscuit or a bagel.  Or you might just decide to take a spoon to it (I won’t tell).

Look for peaches on sale now, and make some of this peach jam to enjoy later!

Yield: Five 8-ounce jars

Prep Time: 30 min + cooling time

Cook Time: 10 min

Peach Freezer Jam

3/4 cup unsweetened white grape or apple juice
5 to 6 medium peaches, peeled, diced and coarsely pureed in the food processor (3 cups of puree)
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Five 8-ounce freezer-safe glass jelly jars & lids (cleaned and dried)

1. Heat the juice in a medium saucepan at medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Whisk in the pectin. Continue to whisk until dissolved. Keep at a hard boil for 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups of peach puree, sugar and cinnamon. Bring back to a boil and keep at a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Transfer the mixture to a measuring cup with a spout for pouring (it will be very liquidy). Divide the hot mixture between the 5 jars, leaving 1/2-inch room at the top of each jar (room for expansion during the freezing process). Place the tops on the jars and let them sit at room temperature until they are completely cooled off (12 to 24 hours). Put one jar in your refrigerator to use now, and put the rest in your freezer to use later!

*See this post:  How to Peel Peaches (the easy way)

*My sister says she uses the little disposable Glad plastic containers without any trouble, just in case you don't wish to go out and purchase special jars for this recipe!

*Keep a single, opened jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Jars may be kept frozen for up to 1 year.

56 Responses to “Peach Freezer Jam”

1. postedAug 19, 2013 5:20 AM

This jam looks perfect!! I am totally saving this!

2. postedAug 19, 2013 5:27 AM

can I use any kind of glass jars?

How about glad plastic containers?

I don’t want to spend the money to buy special freezer jars.

• August 19th, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

Hi Christine, it’s best to use those that actually say “freezer safe,” since you wouldn’t want them cracking on you. However, my sister tells me that she uses the little Glad disposable plastic containers for freezer jam all the time without any problems.

3. postedAug 19, 2013 5:32 AM

I want to try this, I’ve only ever made the regular kind of jam, not freezer jam, I love peaches and this looks quick and easy.

4. postedAug 19, 2013 6:23 AM

I love this idea and the jam looks awesome! Perfect for PB & J!

5. postedAug 19, 2013 7:01 AM
    Donna P.

Looks yummy and pretty easy! How long can they remain in the freezer and once opened in the fridge? Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

6. postedAug 19, 2013 7:06 AM
    Donna P.

Looks yummy and pretty easy! How long can the jam be stored in the freezer and in the fridge once opened? Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

• August 19th, 2013 @ 7:08 AM

Freezer up to 1 year. Opened jar in the fridge should be good up to 3 weeks.

7. postedAug 19, 2013 7:36 AM

Such a great idea, and so much easier than I would have thought – love that!

8. postedAug 19, 2013 8:06 AM

Yum! This jam looks amazing :) I love it homemade

9. postedAug 19, 2013 9:41 AM

Love how easy this jam is! Perfect way to enjoy peaches in the middle of winter!

10. postedAug 19, 2013 10:13 AM

I do that boiling method with tomatoes but never thought about doing it with peaches. And since I’m making peach-jalapeno margaritas this week…that is what I’m doing!!

11. postedAug 19, 2013 10:35 AM

Love this! Texas (and Arizona) peaches are on and popping right now, so I’ve been canning my face off. I haven’t tried freezer canning yet, but it’s on my To Do list. Love the addition of the cinnamon!

12. postedAug 19, 2013 10:37 AM

This sounds delicious! What a great way to enjoy peaches after summer.

13. postedAug 19, 2013 11:04 AM

This is like preserving summer in a jar! Love this!

14. postedAug 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Gorgeous peach freezer jam, Lori! I am with you…I adore peaches. Nectarines, too. Excellent tips to share with peeps on how to easily peel peaches. Thanks for sharing!

15. postedAug 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Wanna sell me some? I’ll take a dozen jars. Looks AMAZING!

16. postedAug 19, 2013 3:42 PM

I can’t get over how simple freezer jam is! Definitely must try.

17. postedAug 19, 2013 7:58 PM

I luv luv luv peach jam and when in season I freeze them just for this purpose and YES the glad cntnrs. are awesome and work well. I also can the peaches for holiday gift giving in small glass jars. Its great on cream cheese and crackers etc. yummy TKS for recipes you give us to enjoy and soooo easy to boot.

18. postedAug 20, 2013 6:57 AM

Love this recipe! I love enjoying homemade jame in the cold months. It makes it feel like summer.

19. postedAug 20, 2013 9:08 AM

Just got done making this jam…….this is delicious!!! I will most certainly be making another bath…..doubling it this time!! Looking forward to giving a few jars as Christmas gifts to people :) Thanks for another great recipe :)

• August 22nd, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Glad to hear it was a success!

20. postedAug 20, 2013 10:40 AM

I make regular peach jam all the time but I’ve never tried freezer or low-sugar jam.
    I put a teaspoon of cinnamon, a half teaspoon of fresh nutmeg and TWO Tablespoons of freshly grated ginger in my hot water-bathed peach jam and it’s spectacular! Try a little bit and see. Here’s the recipe below (I didn’t create it but don’t recall where I got it to give them credit– wish I did!):

Peach Cobbler Jam:
    9 (1/2-pint) canning jars, lids, and screw-on bands
    7 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
    4 cups coarsely chopped peaches and their juices
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1 (3 oz) pouch liquid fruit pectin

Peach Spice Jam:

Sterilize the jars, lids, and screw-on bands in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Drain well just before filling jars with prepared preserves.

In a large saucepan, combine everything but the pectin. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often to keep from scorching.

When you reach a rolling boil (one that you can’t stir down), add the pectin all at once and stir well. Return to a boil, and boil exactly 1 minute while stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Pour into hot, sterilized jars. Wipe rims of jars clean. Secure lids with screw-on bands.

Place jars of preserves in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Carefully remove from water bath, and let stand at room temperature to cool.

A couple of hours later, check to be certain all jars vacuum sealed. Leave undisturbed. It may take up to 2 weeks for the gel to completely set. Store at room temperature up to 1 year.

If you have a jar that didn’t vacuum seal, refrigerate and use within 1 to 2 weeks.

Spices are GREAT just as specified. Don’t reduce

21. postedAug 20, 2013 10:48 AM

This sounds marvelous and I have a tree full of marvelous peaches. Question: has anyone tried using Stevia rather than sugar? My husband is diabetic. Thanks for all the marvelous ideas and recipes.

• August 22nd, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

I haven’t tried it myself, but I know that I’ve seen people do it with other recipes. I’ll bet it would work!

22. postedAug 21, 2013 5:26 AM

I keep seeing more and more of these freezer jams.. I always made them the ‘traditional’ way (you know: sugar, seal, store). I should really try a freezer jam just to taste the difference! Has anyone done that yet?

23. postedAug 24, 2013 11:22 AM

This tastes incredible! I am wondering if I can use this same recipe and put it in a water bath to store on the shelf instead of the freezer? I have lots of shelf space, but limited freezer space.

• August 24th, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

I really don’t know… I’m not familiar w/ traditional canning at all!

24. postedSep 1, 2013 9:22 AM
    Eidsness girl

Just got done making my second batch. We have a white peach tree that has never produced much until this year then WOW! They are so sweet I cut the sugar back in the second batch and substituted some brown sugar. yum! I put it in regular canning jars that sealed so think it’s ok to leave on the shelf until opened, like regular canned jams and jellies. I’ll report back if it spoils. Thanks for the easy to follow dieections and pictures.

• September 4th, 2013 @ 4:39 AM

Yes, please report back, thanks!

25. postedSep 2, 2013 4:54 PM
    kara callison

Oh my God this is the best. I have been eating it with a spoon. So easy to make. I made 6 batches. Probably not enough!

26. postedSep 5, 2013 9:13 AM
    Mavis K.

Oh, WOW!! I just made your jam this morning! SO easy and it turned out FABULOUS!! The only thing I added was 2 T. fresh lemon juice, because I always add it to every jam recipe I make. Next time I’ll double it so I can give some away. I absolutely love your blog and all of your recipes I’ve ever made. I’m making the Slow Cooker French Dip sandwiches this weekend. A friend of mine who also follows you makes them all the time. My hubs is going to go nuts! :)

• September 8th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

So glad to hear you’re having great successes!

27. postedSep 12, 2013 12:51 PM

Just made this jam it is so easy and yummy!
    I used freezer plastic containers. They were
    $2.50 for 8 at Walmart. Thanks mom for the
    Beautiful peaches!!!

28. postedSep 15, 2013 6:40 PM
    Chris Barnett

do you have to freeze this recipe? Or just store in the basement?

• September 16th, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

This particular recipe is for freezing. You’d need to find a canning recipe for one that would be appropriate for storing on the shelf.

29. postedSep 16, 2013 6:33 AM

Hi, I just finished making this over the weekend and it turned out wonderful, everyone loves it!!! I will definitely be making more soon while I can still find fresh peaches, but I was wondering- do you think other kinds could be made using the same recipe but just switching the fruit? My husband really wanted me to try other fruits, such as strawberry. Thanks!

• September 16th, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I’m not sure- I haven’t tried it with other fruits yet.

30. postedSep 21, 2013 3:36 AM

This was my favorite jam my grandmother use to make, I never put it in the fridge, taste just as good out of the freezer!!! Thought it would be harder than this, soo awesome!! My question is, do u use very ripe peaches or still hard peaches?

• September 23rd, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Just slightly soft. Hard peaches may not work well.

31. postedJul 8, 2014 6:54 AM

I make freezer jam a lot! I find the pint mason jars are the best. I’ve had quart mason jars break when frozen.

I don’t use white sugar either. I don’t like gaggy sweet jam. I use honey or raw sugar blends instead. Could also use date sugar, maple syrup, stuff with more minerals and nutrition. Just a thought. 😀

32. postedJul 30, 2014 7:00 PM
    Karissa Hodge

Can you substitute honey for the sugar? If so, is it a 1:1 substitution? Thanks!

• July 31st, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

I’m not sure of how to sub honey for sugar in jam recipes. Maybe try Google to see if you can get an answer for that one?

33. postedOct 14, 2014 10:25 AM

I am in complete love with your recipe thank you!!! I have never made any sort of jam before and was a bit nervous about attempting it. I made an impulse purchase of some last of the crop peaches and they needed something done to them. And now I have 10 containers of peach freezer jam sitting on my counter. Its delicious and so easy thank you so much!!!

34. postedJul 5, 2015 8:58 PM

Great easy recipe but mine is not setting up…followed directions to a T…how long does it take to thicken up?

• July 12th, 2015 @ 3:23 AM

it’s not a terribly thick jam, but it should have set up enough. How did all fare after a day or so?

35. postedJul 13, 2015 7:23 PM

Do I have to use the pink box of sure jell, or can I use regular??

• July 21st, 2015 @ 6:30 AM

I’m not sure… I used: One 1.75-ounce package no-sugar-needed fruit pectin (or 3 tablespoons from a jar)

36. postedAug 1, 2015 2:55 PM

just made this with both sugar and some with Splenda it’s yummy only I just couldn’t get the whole boiling and peeling the peaches I still had to knife peel them but I’ll try again thanks

37. postedAug 10, 2015 9:06 PM

I have been making freezer jams for years. They are so tasty and so easy. But your fruit has to have enough acid to make it set, just like traditional cooked jams. So if your peaches are a low acid variety or white flesh you probably should add some kind of acid, like lemon juice, orange juice or even pineapple juice. As far as using other fruits there are recipes for several different kinds of jams and jellies, freezer and cooked n the box of pectin. Strawberry and Apricot are two of my favorites besides peach.

38. postedAug 13, 2015 7:19 AM

Can you use frozen peaches?

• August 22nd, 2015 @ 3:40 PM

I have not tried making this jam with frozen peaches. My thought is… if you have access to fresh and juicy peaches this summer, you should use those!

39. postedAug 21, 2015 2:48 PM

I have a complaint. You say these will last in the freezer for one year. I made a batch last week, and all the jars are gone already! 😉 I love the cinnamon in this recipe. We’ve been mixing a little with homemade vanilla yogurt and it is dreamy. I’ve made 3 batches so far.

40. postedSep 10, 2015 6:34 PM

This peach freezer jam is amazing!  I did not have the sugarless sure gel so I used the regular which required tweaking and a lucky guess the first time out.  I added 4 cups of sugar to the peaches and when I added them to the pectin/grape juice and brought it to a boil, I only boiled the mixture for 1 -1 1/2 minutes.  I was afraid 5 would turn it into hard tack.  It was perfect.  I skimmed the foam, and put it into jelly jars, let it cool completely and placed in the freezer beside my strawberry freezer jam.  I have never tasted better peach jam in my life!

• September 14th, 2015 @ 5:09 AM

Thank you for sharing your success!