posted in Grilling

Barbecued Pork Chops

This is a very simple, eating-light recipe for Barbecued Pork Chops, to prepare either under the broiler in the oven (or on the grill).

Barbecued Pork Chops

I’ve always had this unreasonable fear of preparing pork chops.  Maybe because 93.8% of the times that I prepare them, they turn out dry and board-like… forcing my family to chew endlessly before swallowing.  I think I’ve finally gotten the hang of it now.  Pork (like chicken) must be eyed-on while cooking.  It’s wonderful and tender and juicy when cooked right, but left too long and you’ll end up with over-cooked and dry meat.

Barbecued Pork Chops -

This recipe is BEYOND simple and it takes about 15 minutes total to prepare.  The chops are dusted with a light mixture of spices, then brushed with a (simple) homemade BBQ sauce and broiled– about 5 minutes on each side.  If you’re worried about whether or not it’s done inside, stick an instant-read thermometer in there to check.  It’s safe to eat pork when it reaches a temperature in the middle of at least 145 degrees.

Barbecued Pork Chops from

To make a complete meal, put your rice and vegetable on to cook before you even begin the chops.  By the time you’re done with the chops, everything will be ready in less than 30 minutes.  That works for me… since I’m usually trying to throw things together at the last minute at dinnertime, and my oh-so-patient family is asking… “When is dinner?  When are we eating?  Is it done YET?”  These chops turn out nice and tender (and not dry!), and the sauce is terrific too- especially if you should decide to serve it over a little bit of rice.

This recipe includes both nutritional information and Weight Watcher’s points (just in case anyone is watching that sort of thing).

Yield: 4 Servings

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 10 min

Barbecued Pork Chops

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 whole boneless loin chops (about 1 1/2 pounds total)

1. Preheat grill or broiler.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce to a small bowl and set aside.

3. Combine thyme, garlic salt and red pepper; sprinkle over one side of the chops. Place the chops on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 to 6 minutes per side, basting with the remaining sauce. After cooking, let rest 5 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce (heated).

Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1 chop drizzled with sauce
Calories per serving: 274
Fat per serving: 4g
Saturated Fat per serving: 1.23g
Sugar per serving: 16.64g
Sodium per serving: ,span class="sodium">1184mg
Fiber per serving: .5g
Protein per serving: 39g
Cholesterol per serving: 94mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 19g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 7 Old Points Program: 6

Source: (via Weight Watchers: 5 Star Recipes)

22 Responses to “Barbecued Pork Chops”

1. postedOct 24, 2013 3:39 PM
    Robert M

Very easy to make. Great recipe!

2. postedJan 9, 2014 7:23 AM

These look far from dry and board-like, they look succulent and stunning!

3. postedJan 9, 2014 7:59 AM

Gorgeous shots! I’m drooling. We adore pork chops at our house and I can’t wait to try these soon. Thanks for sharing, m’lady! Pinning (of course)!

4. postedJan 9, 2014 8:00 AM

Thank you for this recipe! Pork Chops is one of the foods I can never get right. I always dry them out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this recipe will be a game changer for me :)

5. postedJan 9, 2014 9:25 AM

This reminds me of summer and I could use a summer meal right now! Love this!! The picture of the chops stacked – fantastic!!! Pinned!

6. postedJan 9, 2014 10:17 AM

Great recipe – I struggle with pork too so thanks for the tips!

7. postedJan 9, 2014 10:30 AM

I have had some bad pork chop experiences too. Chewy porkchops are no good. These look really moist!

8. postedJan 9, 2014 11:41 AM

I love BBQ pork chops. Can’t wait to try these!

9. postedJan 9, 2014 4:07 PM

These pork chops look so juicy and PERFECT! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

10. postedJan 9, 2014 5:30 PM

I’m so glad they lowered the done temp for pork, no more dried out piglets! These look supremely juicy! Pinned fo’ sho’.

11. postedJan 9, 2014 8:56 PM

I have never made pork chops, but I am in need of a change up! These looks perfect and I love that they are done in no time!

12. postedJan 10, 2014 6:09 AM

There’s nothing dry about these pork chops — they look so juicy and flavorful! My family would love these. :)

13. postedJan 10, 2014 8:21 AM

These pork chops look so juicy and full of flavor!

14. postedJan 10, 2014 8:38 AM

These pork chops look so perfect! I am obsessed with BBQ sauce so these are a huge winner in my book :)

15. postedJan 10, 2014 1:33 PM

I can definitely relate to being afraid of preparing pork chops. Growing up my parents always over cooked them and I just thought that all pork chops were supposed to be dry and nasty. :) It wasn’t until I moved out of their house and prepared them on my own that I realized how amazing pork chops really are. I love this simple barbecue recipe…I’ll definitely have to give them a try! Pinned! :)

16. postedJan 10, 2014 3:52 PM

My pork chops are always dry! :( I want to try this recipe, It’s just that I’m scare I give my kids under cooked pork.

17. postedJan 10, 2014 3:57 PM

These look awesome Lori! I also have a fear of pork chops. I think everyone’s had a bad experience with dry pork chops at some point! I love the idea of broiling them though, that’s a good idea. And I’m totally eying your grilled zucchini…is it dinner time yet??

18. postedJan 11, 2014 5:15 AM

BBQ Pork Chops are one of our favorites! I’m wishing I had a fork and knife right now to dive in!

19. postedJan 12, 2014 3:54 PM

I haven’t had much success with pork chops either…but, if this method could make them turn out perfectly juicy, then I’ve got to try it!

20. postedJan 13, 2014 5:43 AM

Oh my, finally someone sharing my phobia of pork chops! I had completely the same problem as you for a very long time – all my effort always ended up chewy as a carpet. But I fought it really hard last summer and feel much more confident now. Looking forward to try out your chops with the sauce!

21. postedJan 17, 2014 6:10 PM
    Diana W

I made this tonight and it was great. Prepared it under the broiler and it was perfect, not dry at all. This is making its way into my week night rotation.

22. postedOct 9, 2014 5:15 AM

Nice and easy recipe. Thanks so much.