Here’s a delicious and healthier version of Baked Chicken Parmesan.
This much-loved recipe is a much lighter version of the classic recipe for Chicken Parmesan. So if you’re looking for a more traditional recipe, I do have a Skillet Chicken Parmesan recipe that’s really good.
In this baked chicken parmesan recipe, the chicken is lightly coated with panko bread crumbs. And it’s baked instead of fried. The baked chicken is topped with tomato sauce, zucchini and a small amount of Parmesan cheese. It only bakes for 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and the chicken is cooked through.
From a reader: “We just loved the spicy alternative flavor from the hot pepper flakes. It really adds to the regular version.” I love to get reader reviews. It really helps build the confidence that this recipe is a good one. It’s a kid friendly chicken dinner recipe too. Though the kiddos might not like the zucchini addition as much as the adults. Maybe add it on some and leave it off the others. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for more lighter dinner recipes, you might like to try these:
- Ceviche Style Shrimp and Avocado Tacos
- Salmon with Mustard and Brown Sugar Glaze
- Turkey Cutlets with Parmesan Crust
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- ⅓ cup + 2 teaspoons plain panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Four 3-ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large zip bag, combine the bread crumbs and ¼ teaspoon each of salt, oregano, basil and pepper; seal the bag and shake to blend. Dip one chicken breast in egg white, turning to coat. Add to the bag; seal the bag and shake to coat. Place the coated chicken breast on a large plate; repeat using remaining chicken breasts.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil; add the coated chicken breasts. Cook over medium-high heat, for 1 minute on each side, until lightly browned; transfer to prepared baking pan. Add the zucchini to the skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Arrange the zucchini around the chicken in the pan. Add the onion to the skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce and crushed red pepper; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken and zucchini; sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling and the chicken is cooked through.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, don't use the panko breadcrumbs. Instead, substitute GF breadcrumbs or ground up GF pretzels.