A delicious and healthier version of Baked Chicken Parmesan
This much-loved recipe is a much lighter version of the classic recipe for Chicken Parmesan. The chicken is lightly coated and baked instead of fried. It’s topped with tomato sauce, zucchini and a small amount of cheese. Nutritional information and Weight Watchers points are included in the recipe below.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup + 2 teaspoons plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Four (3 ounce) skinless boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large zip bag, combine bread crumbs and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, oregano, basil and pepper; seal bag and shake to blend. Dip one chicken breast in egg white, turning to coat. Add to bag; seal bag and shake to coat. Place coated chicken breast on a large plate; repeat using remaining chicken breasts.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil; add coated chicken breasts. Cook over medium-high heat, 1 minute on each side, until lightly browned; transfer to prepared baking pan. Add zucchini to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Arrange zucchini around chicken in pan. Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce and crushed red pepper; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Pour tomato mixture over chicken and zucchini; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, until mixture is bubbling and chicken is cooked through.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, don't use the panko breadcrumbs. Instead, substitute GF breadcrumbs or ground up GF pretzels.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1 chicken breast with sauce and zucchini) Calories: 254, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sugar: 6.6g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 26.3g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Carbohydrates: 20g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 5, PointsPlus: 6, Old Points Program: 5