Caesar Salad with Balsamic Dressing and Parmesan Croutons
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups seasoned Italian bread cubes (focaccia works great)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic Italian dressing (above)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, basil and garlic in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until mixed well.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the bread cubes in a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the Balsamic dressing and Parmesan cheese; toss to coat.
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a shallow baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir occasionally while baking.
- Combine all the lettuce, onion, olives and eggs in a large bowl. Add about ½ cup Balsamic dressing (or to taste), salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan cheese and croutons and toss gently.