Velveeta is perfect in this Cheesy Black Eyed Pea Dip, a hot and cheesy dip mixed with black eyed peas and served up Mexican-style.
I don’t normally use Velveeta in anything. You probably don’t either, right? It’s kind of a guilty pleasure. We know it’s not that great for us, but it’s pretty amazing when it’s melted into a cheese sauce, isn’t it? Velveeta happens to work wonderfully in this cheesy dip recipe. It’s a nice, melted cheesy base for the rest of the flavors that are added in.
This is a great dip to serve on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. Legend has it, for the best chance of luck in the New Year ahead, one must eat at least 365 black eyed peas!
- unsalted butter
- Mexican-style Velveeta (or regular)
- canned black eyed peas
- fresh jalapeño peppers
- canned chopped mild green chiles
- garlic salt
- green onions
How to make Cheesy Black Eyed Pea Dip:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Use sturdy tortilla chips for dipping. There’s nothing worse than flimsy tortilla chips getting stuck in the dip and sinking!
This cheesy black eyed pea dip will work best if you can keep it warm. Grab a warming dish or crock, and it will stay nice and melted for a long time while everyone is dunking away. Enjoy!
The Best Dip Recipes:
Cheesy Black Eyed Pea Dip
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces Mexican-style Velveeta (use regular if you can't find Mexican)
- Two 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers (seeded, ribs removed and diced)
- One 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Turn the heat to low, add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the peas, peppers, chiles, green onion and garlic salt. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a crock or a warming dish and serve hot with chips.
- Serve this as an appetizer for a New Year's party to bring good luck to all of your guests!