This recipe has been a family favorite for so many years: Clam Chowder
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups diced red potatoes, skin-on
- 2 to 3 (6.5 ounce) cans clams, juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- Place onion, celery and potatoes in a large saucepan. Pour clam juice over veggies (don't add the clams yet); add enough water just to cover the vegetables, sprinkle on salt, and simmer until tender.
- Make white sauce when veggies are done simmering. In another large saucepan, melt butter; add flour, mixing well with a wire whisk. Add milks and whisk until slightly thickened. Add clams, simmered vegetables and more salt, as desired. Heat through. The soup will thicken more upon standing.
- Serve in soup bowls with a chunk of crusty sourdough bread.