This Smoked Chicken Chowder is a creamy and delicious chicken chowder with a smokey element to it. It’s a website favorite!
I am crazy about this creamy chicken corn chowder recipe. It’s one that the whole family will love. It’s a hearty chowder that makes the perfect comfort food. Everyone will be happy to find this tasty soup on the dinner table. Grab your soup pot, and make this for dinner!
- vegetable, canola or olive oil
- russet potatoes
- all purpose flour
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- sweet corn kernels
- smoked gouda or smoked cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley
- canned chipotle chiles
- chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
How to make Smoked Chicken Chowder:
The complete, printable easy recipe is at the end of this post.
In a large pot or dutch oven, cook the onions in oil over medium heat stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato, garlic and jalapeño and cook while stirring for about 1 minute.
Stir in the flour, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups broth and heavy cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Add the tomatoes, corn, cheese, parsley, chipotle, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding enough of the remaining cup of broth to thin the soup to desired consistency, 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Substitution and Addition Ideas:
- For a quick and easy way to make this creamy chowder, use rotisserie chicken in place of raw chicken breasts. The difference would be adding the chicken after the soup is done simmering. You may also opt to use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- To lighten things up, you may use low-fat milk or skim milk. Just know that the chowder will not have as much of a creamy broth.
- Use red potatoes in place of russet potatoes.
- Use fresh corn instead of frozen corn.
- Crumble tortilla chips, crispy bacon or chopped green onions on top of individual servings of this chicken soup.
This cheesy chicken chowder recipe has rich flavor. It has a creamy texture but maybe not as thick as clam chowder.
Have a few people over for a soup and salad party. Make this soup and a couple other flavorful soups like easy French onion soup and Italian wedding soup. Serve a delicious salad or two, and include bread butter and wine too. What a great feast that would be. Enjoy!
The Best Chowder Recipes:
- Easy Chicken Corn Chowder
- Salmon Chowder
- Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- Corn and Clam Chowder
- Black Dog Quahog Chowder
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Smoked Chicken Chowder
- 2½ cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño chili, seeded and finely minced (wear rubber gloves)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- One 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar or gouda cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- ½ whole canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced finely (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1½ whole (about 1 pound) boneless chicken breasts, skin and fat removed and meat cut into ½-inch dice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions in oil over moderate heat stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato, garlic and jalapeño and cook while stirring for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups broth and heavy cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, cheese, parsley, chipotle, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding enough of the remaining cup of broth to thin the soup to desired consistency, 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.