This Clam Chowder recipe has been a family favorite for so many years. We like to sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on top. That’s totally optional, but I recommend you try it!
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups diced red potatoes (skin on)
- Three 6.5 ounce cans chopped clams, juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- To a large saucepan, add the onion, celery and potatoes. Pour the clam juice over the veggies (don't add the clams yet); add enough water just to cover the vegetables, sprinkle on salt, and simmer until tender.
- Make the white sauce when the veggies are done simmering. In another large saucepan, melt the butter, and then add the flour, mixing well with a wire whisk. Add the milks and whisk until slightly thickened. Add the clams, simmered vegetables and more salt, as desired. Heat through.
- The soup will thicken more upon standing.Serve in soup bowls with a chunk of crusty sourdough bread.
- As an alternative to using canned clams, if you have access to fresh clams, use 1 pound of shelled clams + 1 bottle of clam juice.
- We like to sprinkle red wine vinegar on top of our clam chowder. Try it!