Coconut Cake with Raspberry Buttercream Filling is an impressive dessert that everyone will love!
Let me tell you about this coconut cake. A thick layer of homemade raspberry buttercream frosting is sandwiched between two layers of coconut cake. The cake is frosted with my favorite marshmallow frosting that is adapted to add a teaspoon of coconut extract. The entire cake is coated in lightly toasted shredded coconut. Fresh red raspberries layered on the top of the cake add a beautiful color and flavor. You won’t be able to resist a slice or two of this delectable cake!
Are you planning a Mother’s Day brunch or spring dinner party? Impress your guests with this beautiful cake made with the freshest flavors. I love the coconut flavor because it is subtle and not too overwhelming. The best thing about this cake is the raspberry buttercream filling which complements the coconut marshmallow frosting. Simple flavors always create the most impressive desserts.
For the cake layers, I started with a recipe from Cooks Illustrated and adapted it slightly. I used my favorite recipe for raspberry buttercream and then one of my most popular recipes for the marshmallow buttercream frosting. I added a hint of coconut extract to both the cake and the frosting to enhance the coconut flavor. You won’t be disappointed by this cake. It is beautiful and flavorful and the texture is perfect. Go ahead, impress your guests and make a beautiful cake for any occasion!
Coconut Cake with Raspberry Buttercream Filling
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg plus 5 large Eggland's Best egg whites
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into 12 pieces
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- One (7-ounce) jar Marshmallow Creme
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries, for topping or serving
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Cut out two 8-inch or 9-inch round pieces of parchment paper and place them in the bottom of two 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans. Butter the sides of the pans and dust with flour, shaking out the excess.
- In a glass measuring cup, add the eggs, coconut cream, milk, vanilla and coconut extract. Whisk until combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed to combine. Add butter, one piece at a time, and beat until butter pieces are no larger than small peas, about 2 minutes. Slowly add half of the liquid mixture, increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Slowly add remaining liquid. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake the cake layers for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pans at least 30 minutes before inverting onto a rack to cool completely.
- To make the raspberry buttercream filling: Puree the raspberries in a food processor. Strain the puree through a fine mesh sieve placed over a bowl to remove the seeds. Add butter to the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the powdered sugar and salt and mix until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add raspberry puree, a tablespoon at a time, until desired color and flavor is reached. Beat on high for about 30 seconds to lighten the filling.
- To make the coconut marshmallow buttercream frosting: Add the butter to the clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add marshmallow creme, heavy cream, coconut extract and salt; beat for an additional minute.
- To assemble the cake: Place one of the cake layers on a cake board or serving platter. Spread the raspberry buttercream filling over the top of the cake. Place the final cake layer on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the frosting. Coat the frosting with the toasted coconut flakes. Top the cake or serve with fresh raspberries. Enjoy!
Here are a few more dessert recipes featuring coconut that you might enjoy:
- Chocolate Cake with Coconut Cream and Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting by Spoonful of Flavor
- Coconut Cupcakes with Key Lime Buttercream by Spoonful of Flavor
- Toasted Coconut Frozen Yogurt by RecipeGirl
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed Pudding by Recipe Runner