It’s time to make some Cowboy Sliders for all of your summer parties and backyard barbecues!
Sliders are mini-hamburgers, and they’re the best bites to make at a party. First of all, they’re hand-held– which makes it easy to grab them, walk around and talk to people while eating. Second of all, they can be eaten in just a few bites. And finally, there’s no guilt in eating two or three sliders since they’re so much smaller than a typical burger!
The burgers for these cowboy sliders are super flavorful. There’s onion, diced tomatoes & green chiles and plenty of spice and flavor added in. The fixins’ include cooked bacon, sliced jalapeños and my new favorite barbecue sauce. Mini slider buns are super easy to find and are sold everywhere these days.
- ground beef
- Red Gold® Tomato Love Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- Worcestershire sauce
- Liquid Smoke
- salt and lemon pepper
- cheddar cheese
- slider buns
- 1776 Kickin’ Honey BBQ Sauce
This recipe was created in partnership with Red Gold® Tomatoes. They’re a fourth generation, made-in-the-USA, family owned company that knows how to grow tomatoes– they’ve been growing them for over 75 years! Every Red Gold Tomato is grown sustainably on local, Midwest family farms – by farmers they personally know.
I’ve been using their products in my recipes– different varieties of diced tomatoes, ketchup, salsa, and most recently- their awesome 1776 Kickin’ Honey BBQ Sauce! They really are a high quality, great-tasting brand. Red Gold® products are made with Non-GMO Project Verified ingredients and are packed in Non-BPA/BPS lined cans. Check their Store Locator, to see where they are sold near you.
How to make Cowboy Sliders:
Combine the burger slider ingredients in a large bowl. Form the meat mixture into small slider patties and place them on a platter. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or more.
Heat up the grill, and place the slider patties on the hot grill. Cook both sides. Throw some cheddar cheese on top at the end, if you’d like cheese on your sliders. Toast the buns on the grill, if you’d like toasted buns.
To assemble your Cowboy Sliders, place slider patties on the bottom buns.
Top the sliders with bacon, jalapeños and Kickin’ Honey 1776 BBQ Sauce. Place the other half of the bun on top, and serve immediately.
How to cook bacon in the oven:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lay the bacon on the baking sheet. Don’t overlap the bacon or it will all stick together! Bake the bacon for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp. The time varies depending on how thick your bacon is. Move the bacon slices to paper towels to drain.
We served these Cowboy Sliders recently at a barbecue at our house in Oregon, and they were unanimously declared the favorite of the food offered at the party. You must try them too. Enjoy!
Check out the Red Gold® Tomatoes website for more recipe inspiration using their products.
- 1½ pounds 85% lean ground beef
- ½ small onion, chopped finely
- ½ cup Red Gold Tomato Love Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, drained well
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 slices cheddar cheese, cut into fourths
- 12 slider buns
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- sliced jalapeños
- ½ cup 1776 Kickin' Honey BBQ Sauce
PREPARE THE BURGER PATTIES:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with all of the burger ingredients except the cheese. Form the meat mixture into 12 small slider patties and place them on a tray. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Add the slider patties to the hot grill. Close the lid, and cook about 4 minutes on each side (or until desired doneness). Add slices of cheddar cheese at the end of the cooking time.
- Place a burger slider on the bottom half of a slider bun. Top with bacon, jalapeños and a drizzle of barbecue sauce. Place 2nd bun on top, and serve immediately.