These Greek Inspired Burgers were a finalist recipe in the Build a Better Burger Contest.
Greek Inspired Burgers
This lamb burger was a finalist recipe in the Build a Better Burger Contest.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into rounds, ½-inch thick
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- ¾ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil
- 6 small pita breads, halved horizontally
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1½ cups tzatziki sauce (store-bought or homemade)
PREPARE THE EGGPLANT:
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper and then whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is thick and well-blended.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Pour the dressing over the slices and turn the eggplant to coat well. Set aside.
MAKE THE BURGERS:
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, mint, and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Handle the meat as little as possible- you just want to mix the flavors.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the pita breads.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until done, about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from heat.
- Grill the eggplant slices until tender, about 3 minutes on each side.
- To assemble- in each pita add ½ cup lettuce, a patty, about ¼ cup of tzatziki sauce, and an eggplant slice.
If you are serving this as gluten-free, serve on GF bun or bread, or serve without a bun.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 783kcal, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 34g, Fat: 54g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Cholesterol: 120mg, Sodium: 1080mg, Potassium: 701mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 2522IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 197mg, Iron: 5mg