Sweet and savory flavors are a match made in burger heaven. This Maple Bourbon Burger with Bacon Mustard Sauce is over the top delicious! Perfect for those end of summer parties and football season kickoff. You’re going to crave this one year round.
I’m a burger freak…..well, maybe a burger super freak. I could eat them every day so I’m always looking for creative ways to punch them up with flavor. I’m a fan of the standard cheeseburger but when I have guests for summer parties or tailgating I LOVE to wow them with my burger powers so to speak. And this Maple Bourbon Burger with Bacon Mustard Sauce is always a huge win with my fellow burger fans.
The first time I made this Maple Bourbon Burger my husband was seriously skeptical. He’s a burger purist totally favoring a classic cheeseburger topped with ketchup, lettuce and tomato. I like to be a bit of an adventurist so I started painting on sweet glazes made from flavorful ingredients like maple syrup and bourbon. You’d be surprised how mouthwatering a sweet/savory burger can be….and you may even want to kick the classic to the curb, like my husband has now done.
It all starts with the glaze which is just maple syrup and a bit of bourbon. When the burger is almost done, you slather that sticky sweet concoction all over the top. Then melt on a slice of smoked gouda because….well, smoked gouda is flipping amazing. And when you think you’re done, you top the whole thing with a totally addicting Bacon Mustard Sauce that’s seriously amazing.
How’s that for the most epic burger recipe around?
Maple Bourbon Burger with Bacon Mustard Sauce
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 4 slices smoked gouda
- 4 hamburger rolls
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve for another use. Allow the bacon fat to cool in the pan then transfer to a small bowl.
- Whisk the bacon fat, mustard, honey and horseradish together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (Sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance.)
- Using clean hands, blend together the ground beef, salt and pepper to combine.
- Divide the beef into four equal portions and shape into patties approximately 4-5 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the maple syrup and bourbon. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it reduces by half. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the burgers on the grill over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the burgers over and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Brush the glaze over the burgers and turn the heat down.
- Top each burger with one slice of cheese and cook for another minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a platter and rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange the burgers on the buns and top with the mustard sauce, tomato, lettuce and onion, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Here are a few more Burger recipes you may enjoy:
- Greek Style Turkey Burgers by Recipe Girl
- French Dip Burger with Havarti, Swiss and Bourbon Fried Onions by The Suburban Soapbox
- Monte Cristo Burger by Foodness Gracious