In this burger recipe, the mushrooms are so meaty that they are sometimes mistaken for beef (sort of): Mushroom Veggie Burgers
They don’t taste like regular burgers, by any means. They taste as they should… like portobello mushroom burgers.
Mushroom Veggie Burgers
Prep Time:20 min
Cook Time:15 min
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups moderately, finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
3 small garlic cloves, finely minced
4 cups coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms (about 2 large mushrooms)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
buns and condiments of your choice
1. Heat olive oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until limp and golden- about 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring now and then, until mushrooms soften and brown- about 4 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl and cool 10 minutes.
3. Using wooden spoon, mix salt, pepper and bread crumbs into mushroom mixture. Add egg whites and mix thoroughly.
4. Scoop up mixture by 1/2-cup measure, then using hands, shape into four patties about 3/4-inch-thick.
5. Wipe out skillet, spray with nonstick spray, and set over moderate heat. Add patties and brown about 3 minutes on each side.
6. Serve on buns and add desired condiments.
buns and condiments of your choice are not included in nutritional information
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (17%) 52
Total Fat 6.02g
Saturated Fat 1.01g
Dietary Fiber 9.18g
Net Carbohydrates 41.34g
Points Plus Program: 8 Old Points Program: 6
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (adapted from Good Morning America's Cut the Calories Cookbook)