Dutch Apple Bread is the perfect bread to bake when you need to use up some fresh apples!
This lovely Dutch Apple Bread is a wonderful breakfast bread, and it’s nice to have around as a good snacking bread too. It’s an easy-to-bake bread that is full of apple chunks (and optional walnuts), and it has a sweet streusel topping too.
How to make Dutch Apple Bread:
First you’ll make the bread batter. It’s a mix of wet ingredients (sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla) and dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt). Those are combined alternately with a little bit of buttermilk. And then chopped fresh apples are stirred in. Walnuts can be added too, but those are optional. The batter is spread evenly into a loaf pan.
A simple streusel topping is sprinkled on top. It’s a mix of flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Then your Dutch Apple Bread is ready for the oven!
How to make buttermilk:
If you don’t want to buy a whole carton of buttermilk to make this bread, it’s super easy to make your own buttermilk at home. 1/3 cup of buttermilk is called for in this recipe. To make your own, measure 1/3 cup of milk in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar to the milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will curdle a little bit, and then you have your homemade buttermilk!
What are the best apples to use for baking?
There are certain varieties of apples that are best to use for baking. For baking apple bread, use McIntosh, Red Delicious or Golden Delicious. These varieties break down a little more than other varieties and are best for using in cakes and breads.
How to store bread:
This Dutch Apple Bread will stay fresh at room temperature for about four days. Cool the bread completely, and then keep stored in a covered container. After four days, you should toss the bread or freeze the leftovers (well wrapped). In the freezer, this bread will keep for up to three months. Cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap, and then wrap again in foil.
Try baking this lovely fall loaf today, and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Here are a few more bread recipes you might like to try:
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Nutella Swirled Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread with Grand Marnier Glaze
- Secret Walnut Banana Bread
- Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Raspberry Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Blueberry Bread
Dutch Apple Bread
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apples
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
PREPARE THE BATTER:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in the apples and nuts (if using). Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Then use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Note: the optional walnuts are not included in the nutritional information.