This French Almond Cake recipe is a delicious, dense almond-flavored cake topped with sliced almonds and brushed with apricot jam.
This cake is a bit similar to my Almond Butter Cake recipe (which is very popular). That recipe is also a dense cake, but it’s made with almond paste. French Almond Cake has the flavor of almonds with almond extract and sliced almonds, but there is no need to use any almond paste in this recipe. The apricot jam on top makes it stand out as extra amazing.
This recipe comes from one of my very favorite cookbooks that I use quite often: Piece of Cake by Camilla Saulsbury. I’ve made a ton of cake recipes from this book, and they have all been really great cakes!
- granulated white sugar
- unsalted butter
- almond extract
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- sliced almonds
- apricot jam
How to make French Almond Cake:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Spread the warm cake with apricot jam. Let cool completely.
The jam acts like a fabulous glaze for the cake. As I mentioned before, it’s more of a dense cake. So it’s basically like a giant, softer cookie.
With this photo, you can see more what the texture is like. If you are an almond lover, this is definitely a great almond dessert to try. Enjoy!
Favorite Almond Dessert Recipes:
French Almond Cake
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9-inch round baking pan with baking spray (nonstick spray with flour).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, eggs, butter, almond extract and vanilla. Add the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, then invert the cake onto the rack. Spread the warm cake with apricot jam. Let cool completely.