These Frosted Lemon Bars have three layers: a shortbread crust, a classic lemon bar filling and cream cheese frosting on top.
Everyone loves lemon bars, right? Well, this is a new way to make them. As if they aren’t sweet enough, we’re going to add frosting to them too. Trust me, it’s a good addition! You can plan to cut them into smaller bars so they’re not such an indulgence.
- all purpose flour
- salted butter
- powdered sugar
- granulated white sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest
- cream cheese
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla extract
How to make Frosted Lemon Bars:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post. Preheat the oven to 350℉.
PRE PARE THE CRUST:
PREPARE THE FILLING:
The layers on these frosted lemon bars are amazing. The crust is buttery and delicious. The filling is just like the filling you’ve had in other lemon bars- tangy and lemony. And the frosting on top is a classic cream cheese frosting. If you want the frosting to be lemony too, you can use lemon extract instead of vanilla extract.
Sprinkle a little lemon zest on top. That makes them pretty! This is a dessert for lemon lovers. Enjoy!
How to store Frosted Lemon Bars:
Keep these bars stored in a single layer in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Favorite Lemon Dessert Recipes
Frosted Lemon Bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract (use lemon, if you want them really lemony!)
- lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the flour, butter and powdered sugar. Press the crust into a 9x13-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until light golden brown.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine all of the filling ingredients. Pour the filling over the baked crust and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Let the filled lemon bars cool completely before adding the frosting.
ADD THE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the frosting ingredients. Mix until smooth. Spread carefully over the cooled lemon bars. Sprinkle lemon zest on top, if desired. Refrigerate until firm, and then slice into squares and serve.