Lemon Brownies are a super easy-to-make dessert bar recipe.
This is one of those recipes that begins with a cake mix. If you prefer to make things totally from scratch, then this recipe isn’t for you. I can tell you, however, that these lemon brownies are really delicious… so I’d consider giving them a chance! Full disclosure is that they’re not “really” brownies as you know them (they’re not chocolate). Instead, they are lemon dessert bars that are baked like brownies.
Ingredients and supplies needed for Lemon Brownies:
- Lemon Cake Mix
- Lemon Gelatin
- Canola Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Citrus Squeezer
- 9×13-inch pan
How to make Lemon Brownies:
The batter is a simple mix of lemon cake mix, lemon gelatin, oil and eggs. It’s spread into a 9×13-inch pan and baked for 30 minutes.
After the lemon brownies come out of the oven, you will use a toothpick to poke holes all over the top of the brownies.
Adding the glaze:
The glaze is a simple mix of powdered sugar and lemon juice. The lemon glaze is poured evenly over the top of the brownies. It will soak into the holes and into the top of the baked brownies.
The best way to extract fresh lemon juice:
The easiest way to get the most lemon juice out of a lemon is to use a citrus press. One lemon can produce about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Since you’ll need 1/2 cup of lemon juice for this recipe, you’ll need to squeeze about 4 lemons.
- Slice a lemon in half with a sharp knife.
- Put the lemon into the citrus press with the cut side facing the reamer.
- Squeeze the press shut.
- Discard the lemon with half of the juice left.
Once you’ve let the glaze soak in and the lemon brownies to cool completely, they are ready to cut and serve.
These Lemon Brownies are sturdy enough to stack on a platter. They have a wonderful lemony flavor, and the texture inside the bar is soft and a little gooey. Add some sliced fresh lemons to your serving tray to add a pretty lemon garnish to your dessert!
Here are a few more recipes for brownies that you might like to try:
- Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
- Orange Brownies
- Macadamia Chip Brownies
- White Chocolate Brownies
- S’Mores Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Butterscotch Brownies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- One 15.25-ounce box lemon cake mix
- One 3-ounce box lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
BAKE THE BROWNIES:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 13x9-inch pan (or spray with baking spray).
- In a medium bowl, combine the brownie ingredients with an electric mixer (the batter will be thick). Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and slightly firm to touch.
PREPARE THE GLAZE:
- While the brownies are baking, use a wire whisk to combine the sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.
- Poke holes into the hot baked brownies with a toothpick. Spoon the glaze all over the top.
- Cool the cake completely, and then cut into squares.