This Grilled Corn Dog Salad is tossed with a beer mustard dressing. There are not actually any corn dogs in this salad. But there are smoked sausages (dogs), corn, and plenty of grilled vegetables!
If you’re looking for something interesting to make on your grill this summer, I’d say you should try this Corn Dog Salad! The recipe calls for butternut squash (totally not a summer vegetable, but such a good idea), corn on the cob, bell peppers and onions. Those are all tossed in olive oil and grilled until some nice char marks appear. There is nothing better than grilled veggies in the summertime, and this combo is fabulous!
Smoked sausages are grilled too. I supposed you could use hot dogs if you really wanted to, but I really recommend using a good smoked sausage instead. All of the grilled goodies are tossed in a bowl with cheddar cheese cubes, fresh herbs and green onions. And a delicious, homemade beer- mustard salad dressing brings it all together.
I won a prize for this salad that I shared at a big summer barbecue. The host of the party was the owner of a string of breweries in San Diego (so the guy knows his beer). He was super excited that I brought a beer-themed salad to his summer party, so he announced my recipe as the most creative recipe at the barbecue!
I mean… with this pile of flavor all gathered together in one bowl, how could it not garnish attention?
I love this as a main dish type salad at a barbecue. Everyone makes chicken salad or taco salad or something like that. But corn dog salad is a new way to deliver something good to a party! It’s a great summer salad recipe.
If you are looking for more recipes for your summer BBQ, you might consider trying my All American Potato Salad or this Summer Tomato Salad. Peach Cobbler and Fast and Easy Cherry Crisp are good choices for a summer dessert too.
Grilled Corn Dog Salad
- 6 cobs corn, husked
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled & seeded & cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 large bell peppers (red, yellow or orange), seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 smoked sausages
- 1 cup chopped cheddar cheese cubes (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, sage or cilantro)
- 3 whole green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high (400° to 450°F).
- In a large bowl, season the corn, squash, onions and peppers with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. Grill veggies in a veggie basket for 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently until lightly charred, tender and fully cooked. Remove from grill and set aside to slightly cool.
- Grill sausages for 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently until lightly charred and heated through. Remove from grill and set aside to slightly cool. Slice grilled sausages into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from cobs. Place kernels in a large serving bowl. Add the grilled squash, peppers, onions and sausages to the corn. Add the cheese, herbs and green onions.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, grainy mustard, yellow mustard, beer, olive oil and honey; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and season with salt & pepper to taste. Mix well and serve immediately.