- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together over simmering water. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half & half. Add ½ cup sugar, whisking as you pour it in. Continue stirring until sugar has dissolved (and isn't grainy), about 30 seconds. Add another ½ cup sugar and stir until dissolved. Then add remaining ½ cup of sugar and stir again.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes glossy and thickens slightly, about 25 minutes.
- 3. Cool slightly (15 minutes) and serve warm.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of chocolate that is known to be GF.
- If you'd like to make this sauce ahead of time, just pour it into a Tupperware container or a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate until ready to reheat and use.