If you’re on a diet, move along. This Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is rich and creamy and completely capable of blowing a diet. (It’s worth cheating though!)
I don’t mean to bash dieters. I’m dieting much of the time myself! But if you really want to cut back, you will appreciate that I have a Lighter Spinach and Artichoke Dip recipe too. This recipe though has all of the good stuff. Plenty of butter and cream are in there. And the artichoke hearts and spinach are also combined with lemon juice, tabasco sauce, garlic and Parmesan cheese. It’s decadent and delicious!
It’s the kind of dip that you put out at a party and everyone digs in and the dip is gone in a matter of minutes. Serve it at a happy hour party with friends, a holiday or celebration gathering like New Year’s Eve, Super Bowl or Memorial Day. Or just make it for a Sunday afternoon watching football and dipping away.
If you like this hot spinach artichoke dip recipe, then you most definitely will enjoy my Hot Artichoke Dip with Asiago Cheese or this Artichoke Bruschetta. And mushroom lovers will enjoy my Wild Mushroom and Artichoke Dip. Enjoy!
Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Two 9-ounce boxes frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, squeezed dry, & chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the artichokes and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer the artichoke mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in an empty pan. Stir in the flour and cook until just golden, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in the half & half, 1¼ cups Parmesan, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach and artichoke mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with crackers or sliced baguette.
- To make ahead: Prepare the whole dip (but don't bake it). Cover tightly for up to 24 hours. To heat, let the dip sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then sprinkle with cheese and bake, covered with foil, in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake until golden brown and heated through, about 15 minutes longer