Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy and unique dinner recipe!
I love egg rolls. I mean, when I visit a really good Chinese restaurant, I always get them. The crisp exterior and the delicious filling tempts me, and the dipping sauce lures me in. But egg rolls are deep-fried, and they aren’t always the most healthy choice for an appetizer. Now we can all enjoy egg rolls without the deep-frying! Introducing Egg Roll in a Bowl. It’s a full-on inside-of-an-egg roll dinner recipe made in the Instant Pot. And there is no deep-fryer in sight.
This recipe comes from The Fresh and Healthy Instant Pot Cookbook by Megan Gilmore. The book contains 75 recipes for light meals to make in your electric pressure cooker. I was happy to add this book to my cookbook collection since I own an Instant Pot, and we light to eat a little bit lighter from time to time.
Here are a few recipes in the book that have caught my eye: Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal, Healthy Hummus, Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash, Wild Rice and Mushroom Stew, Korean Chicken Bowls, Eggplant Parmesan Casserole, Soy Ginger Salmon with Broccoli and Cinnamon- Pecan Coffee Cake. All of the recipes in the book are gluten-free (or adaptable) and refined sugar-free.
How to make Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl:
The Instant Pot has a sauté option on it, and that’s what you’ll start with in making Egg Roll in a Bowl. Sauté onion, ground turkey and salt in a little bit of olive oil. Next, stir in soy sauce, carrots and celery. And then pile in a head of shredded cabbage on top, which will pretty much fill up your Instant Pot.
At this point, secure the lid and move the valve to “sealing.” Select “Manual/Pressure Cook” and cook on high pressure for ZERO minutes. Yes, that’s correct. Don’t worry- it works! Move the steam release to “venting” to prevent the vegetables from over-cooking. Once the floating valve drops, open the lid and stir. Then stir in a little bit of sesame oil and a couple of grinds of black pepper, and spoon your Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl into serving bowls. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
Suggested kitchen purchases:
- Instant Pot: Pick up the basic version of the Instant Pot on Amazon.Easy to order and delivered in a couple of days.
- Chopsticks: You’ll be glad you bought re-usable chopsticks. You can use them over and over again. They can be washed in the dishwasher and they’ll last forever.
- Deep Bowls for Bowl-Style Dinners: I’m obsessed with these bowls and I use them for so many things. They are great for serving taco bowls, burrito bowls, stir-fries, pasta and salad. They’re nice and deep, and they’re so pretty- sold in white, gray and pink. I have 4 white and 4 gray. I love them!
- Weight Watchers: If counting WW points, points indicated on the recipe card are figured using 93% fat ground turkey.
- Vegan: To make your Egg Roll in a Bowl vegan, substitute mushrooms for the ground turkey.
- Gluten-Free: Use Tamari instead of soy sauce.
Grab chopsticks (or a fork) and make this Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl for dinner. You’ll get all the flavors of a great egg roll without that deep-fried yuck. Enjoy!
The Best Asian Style Recipes:
- Mu Shu Pork
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Easy Kung Pao Chicken
- Moo Goo Gai Pan
- Classic Egg Rolls
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 16 ounces ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 medium stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- sesame seeds and chopped green onions, for garnish
- Press "SAUTE" and add the olive oil, onion, turkey and salt to the Instant Pot. Saute until the turkey is browned and cooked through, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you stir, about 8 minutes. Press "CANCEL" to stop the cooking cycle.
- Add the soy sauce, carrots and celery and stir. Add the cabbage on top without stirring. (The cabbage may nearly fill the pot, but it will reduce significantly in size while cooking.) Secure the lid and move the steam release valve to "SEALING." Select "MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK" to cook on high pressure for 0 minutes (see Recipe Notes below about setting at 0 minutes). When the cooking cycle is complete, immediately move the steam release valve to "VENTING" to quickly release the steam pressure (so you don't overcook the vegetables).
- When the floating valve drops, remove the lid and stir together the vegetables and meat to make sure everything is coated in the soy sauce. Stir in the sesame oil and a few grinds of pepper, to taste. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Use tongs to transfer the egg roll filling to bowls. Garnish with the sesame seeds and green onions and serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Though it might sound strange, the 0 minutes indicated is correct. Don't worry- it works 🙂
- A link to the WW points is included in the recipe card. Use 93% lean for ground turkey.
- To make it VEGAN: Swap 16 ounces of mushrooms for the ground turkey, sauteing for only 5 minutes in step 1.
- To make it GLUTEN FREE: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
I make egg roll in a bowl fairly regularly in a skillet. I use liquid aminos I stead of soy sauce and two smaller packages of coleslaw mix as a shortcut to chopping all of the veggies. The flavor of this recipe is good, but the veggies were completely soggy. I think I’ll stick to the skillet method just because I like my veggies to have a crunchy texture.
Doesn’t the instant pot require at least one cup of liquid to work properly? I only see 1/3 cup here.
Well, all I can tell you is that the recipe works. Here’s what I found on the Internet: “The rule of liquids in pressure cooking is to always add at least 1 cup of liquid unless the recipe states otherwise.”
Is the high sodium count from the soy sauce? Besides lower sodium soy sauce, any suggestions for a substitute to greatly lower the sodium? Thanks! Looks delicious!
This was amazing!! We will make this over & over again!!