Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup is the next delicious and healthy soup recipe to try!
This classic Italian soup is warm and delicious comfort food. You’ll need your Instant Pot to make Pasta e Fagioli Soup. The Instant Pot is awesome because you make the whole recipe in the pot. It has a sauté function, so you can sauté your meat and veggies. And then the pressure cooker does the rest of the work for you on the remaining ingredients. The result is spectacular and so delicious!
This recipe comes from a brand-new cookbook by a friend of mine: The Well Plated Cookbook by Erin Clarke. Erin is the founder of the food blog- WellPlated.com, where she shares fabulous, healthy recipes. Her first cookbook is full of fast, healthy recipes you’ll want to eat. Chapters are for all meals of the day- breakfast, appetizers/drinks, salads, main dishes, sandwiches, soup, side dishes and desserts. This is a beautiful cookbook to add to your cookbook shelf!
Here are a few recipes I’ve bookmarked to try: Fruit and Honey Scones, Every Day Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes, Girl’s Night Sangria, Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip, Sticky Asian Cauliflower Wings, Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Salad, Instant Pot Jambalaya, 5-Ingredient Maple-Dijon Salmon, Slow Cooker Apricot-Glazed Pork, Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Portobello Philly Melts, Slow Cooker Crispy Pineapple Pork Carnitas, Blue Ribbon Chili, Rosemary-Cheddar Cornbread, Instant Pot Confetti Rice and Beans, Double Trouble Fudge Cookies, Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Brownies and Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake.
There are so many delicious-looking recipes in the book. Don’t they all sound so wonderful?
How to make Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup:
Since the Instant Pot has a sauté function, you won’t have to use another pan for browning the meat. So first, you’ll brown some Italian sausage. Then you’ll add carrots, onion, garlic and salt and continue to cook for a few minutes.
Then you’ll add all of the remaining ingredients: chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, white beans, miniature pasta, Italian seasoning, black pepper and red pepper flakes. If you have a rind of Parmesan, you’ll add that to the Instant Pot too. Then you’ll seal the Instant Pot and set it on manual high pressure for 3 minutes, and then let it release naturally for 10 minutes. Then you’ll release the vent, open it up and take out the Parmesan rind. A little bit of red wine vinegar is stirred in. And then it’s ready to serve!
I love how the Instant Pot does all of the work! This recipe makes 6 generous servings. Each serving is about 2 cups of soup.
Weight Watchers Friendly:
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup also happens to be a good, filling recipe to make if you are following the WW program! A link to the WW Points is included in the recipe card below. Added Parmesan on top should be counted as extra points.
This is one of those soups where leftovers actually improve as the week goes on!
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Rewarm gently in the microwave or on the stove top.
Whatever you do, don’t skip the freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving. So ladle the soup into bowls, and then add a generous bit of Parmesan. It’s what takes this soup from good to great. Enjoy!
Favorite Soup Recipes:
- Split Pea Soup with Rosemary
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Wild Rice Soup
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Beefy Mexican Rice Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Sausage Soup
- Italian White Bean Soup
- Carrot and Butternut Squash Soup
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian ground turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- One 15-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes in their juices
- One 15-ounce can reduced-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Onc 15-ounce can reduced-sodium great Northern, cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry whole wheat miniature pasta (ditalini, small shells or elbow macaroni)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- One 3-inch rind of Parmesan (optional- see Recipe Notes below)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- chopped fresh basil, for serving
- Add the oil to a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot and select "saute." Once the oil is hot, add the sausage. Cook, breaking the meat into small pieces, until no pink remains, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onion and salt. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften and turn translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Carefully splash in about ½ cup of the broth. Scrape a spoon or spatula along the bottom of the pot and remove any stuck-on bits.
- Add the remaining broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, great Northern beans, pasta, Italian seasoning, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Parmesan rind (if using). Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high (manual) pressure for 3 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then immediately vent to remove any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid. Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan and fresh basil.
- Nutritional information does not include Parmesan sprinkled on top.
- Freeze your Parmesan rinds in a zip baggie whenever you have them, and then you'll have them available to add to soup!
- Storage tips: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 5 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Rewarm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop.